Wednesday, December 06, 2006

all the king's horses and all the king's men

just couldn't put natty together again, and he went softly from us on friday afternoon.

Martha called me friday morning and asked me to come, and so I did. She called me at the airport to let me know he had died, and i have to say that was the longest, saddest plane ride i've ever taken. I picked Martha up from the hospital friday night to take her home, and her strength and certainty that this is how things are supposed to be made me see a parent's true love for her child - rather than dwelling on her own sadness, Martha was comforted by her son's release from his suffering. It was a humbling experience for me.

We got through the next few days, the travel, the funeral, the weeping, and I've returned home, inexorably changed.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Please keep sending your love to Martha, home now, without her boy.

Professor - you are now and will forever be, deeply loved.

15 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

As before, my tears are flowing with yours.

I am just so so sorry.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I will have the Prof and his heart broken mom in my thoughts. Be sure to take care of yourself as well. I'll kiss my babies extra for the Prof tonight.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

deep sigh.

I hope you're doing ok, Marnie.

9:35 PM  
Blogger fibersnob said...

I'm so saddened to hear this. Know that I'm keeping you and the Professor's family in my prayers.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

4:33 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

:(

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sending love marnie

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! I've been checking back every day to see if he was doing better and my church choir has been praying for him. Let God hold him close and give comfort to his family and friends.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for your friend and everyone who is losing or has lost a child to cancer. It's such a horrible disease that hurts too many children.

The Prof will be in my prayers.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

so sorry to hear such heartbreaking news. my prayers are with you and the prof's family...

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for you, Martha, and everyone who Natty touched in his too-short life.

Keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

10:58 AM  
Blogger bethc said...

What sad news... at least he as at peace, may time find the same for all who suffer now.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

:(

5:35 PM  
Blogger Elena said...

oh

12:24 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Oh. I am so, so sorry for the loss of your Professor.
My deepest condolences for your family and his.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home