Thursday, February 09, 2006

In Search of the Perfect DPN

Ok, so I'm obsessed with sock knitting right now. I have so many other things going on and all i can think about are socks. I have a pair going at all times, and working on them is my "reward" for meeting my little goals. Finish a set of ears and you can knit on your sock for a while. I'm opposed to using bribes and rewards with my daughter to convince her to do things, but for myself? no problem.

Anyway, I currently use 7" bamboo DPNs (i have one pair in rosewood but they're 9s and not exactly for socks). I loathe bamboo. I just hate the way it feels, bends (and stays bent) gets all soggy in my mouth when i pop one in there for a sec...

So I'm questing 5" DPNs. I'm not sold on 5" because i actually like my 7"ers but they do sometimes get caught in my sleeve if i'm wearing something saggy whilst knitting.

I've been toying with Bryspun and swallow casein. What *is* swallow casein? who knows. they seem fairly interesting, however, so they're staying on my short list.

Bryspun - anyone know why i can NOT find 5" in size 1? I mean, they're made for socks, right? why not make them in sock sizes? SO i bought some 2s on ebay dirt cheap and we'll see.

Oh, I'm also considering ebony. I love my rosewood but they're not perfect. and i'm looking for perfect.


Blogger nikki the blogless said...

Oooo, ebony. Yes do it.I love the beautiful simplicity of your blog, by the way. It inspired me to create mine.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I really like 5" birch ones ;) Although Ihave succumed to the two socks on two circs recently, I knwo it's the only way I'll actually get over the Second Sock Syndrome.

2:08 PM  
Blogger curlypurly said...

hi blogless Nikki who has a blog! Ebony, huh?

T- i just am sick of the drag. does birch have drag?

3:33 PM  
Blogger Heather O said...

I bought a beautiful set of swallow casein dpns about 6 months ago, just cause they were pretty. They ended up tasting funny (you know when you stick one in your mouth for a minute to adjust things? well they tasted like icky plastic-y nasty to me) and they snapped sooo easily. Of a set of 6, I know have 1 left. Nowadays I'm mostly using Addis and magic loop. :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Sara M. said...

I can't find Bryspun in anything smaller than a 2 either. My LYS has every size - nothing smaller than 2... I like the Bryspun pretty well, but not in love with them. If you find the PERFECT dpn, please let us know! :o)

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home