Thursday, February 09, 2006

In Search of the Perfect DPN

Ok, so I'm obsessed with sock knitting right now. I have so many other things going on and all i can think about are socks. I have a pair going at all times, and working on them is my "reward" for meeting my little goals. Finish a set of ears and you can knit on your sock for a while. I'm opposed to using bribes and rewards with my daughter to convince her to do things, but for myself? no problem.

Anyway, I currently use 7" bamboo DPNs (i have one pair in rosewood but they're 9s and not exactly for socks). I loathe bamboo. I just hate the way it feels, bends (and stays bent) gets all soggy in my mouth when i pop one in there for a sec...

So I'm questing 5" DPNs. I'm not sold on 5" because i actually like my 7"ers but they do sometimes get caught in my sleeve if i'm wearing something saggy whilst knitting.

I've been toying with Bryspun and swallow casein. What *is* swallow casein? who knows. they seem fairly interesting, however, so they're staying on my short list.

Bryspun - anyone know why i can NOT find 5" in size 1? I mean, they're made for socks, right? why not make them in sock sizes? SO i bought some 2s on ebay dirt cheap and we'll see.

Oh, I'm also considering ebony. I love my rosewood but they're not perfect. and i'm looking for perfect.

5 Comments:

Blogger nikki nimble needles said...

Oooo, ebony. Yes do it.I love the beautiful simplicity of your blog, by the way. It inspired me to create mine.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I really like 5" birch ones ;) Although Ihave succumed to the two socks on two circs recently, I knwo it's the only way I'll actually get over the Second Sock Syndrome.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

hi blogless Nikki who has a blog! Ebony, huh?

T- i just am sick of the drag. does birch have drag?

3:33 PM  
Blogger HeatherLakin said...

I bought a beautiful set of swallow casein dpns about 6 months ago, just cause they were pretty. They ended up tasting funny (you know when you stick one in your mouth for a minute to adjust things? well they tasted like icky plastic-y nasty to me) and they snapped sooo easily. Of a set of 6, I know have 1 left. Nowadays I'm mostly using Addis and magic loop. :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Sara M. said...

I can't find Bryspun in anything smaller than a 2 either. My LYS has every size - nothing smaller than 2... I like the Bryspun pretty well, but not in love with them. If you find the PERFECT dpn, please let us know! :o)

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home