Monday, February 13, 2006

"Make socks for me, in this yarn."



So my daughter rifled through a yarn basket and handed me this lovely yarn. Crocus, dyed by Morwenna of Mosaic Moon. It's a gorgeous purple, brown, and white organic merino. And I was so overjoyed that she actually asked me to make her something that I dropped everything and started knitting hand-wash only merino toddler socks. What was I thinking? I was thinking "my baby wants something I made! finally!"

So of course there's not enough yarn, and we talk about options. Footies, a different colored top, etc. She chose the matching purple, and when I finished the first one and tried it on her she danced around in glee "my sock! my sock! Make the other one, mamma. Right now."

So i did. But bedtime came upon us and I promised her she could have them this morning to wear on the frigid trek to school in 40,000 feet of snow.

And I worked furiously to finish. This morning, she woke up, and while she sat on the kitchen chair munching her vitamins I showed her. "my socks! You made them!" and I put one on. she looked at it, said "i don't like this sock. take it off, mamma."

And that was that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Meri said...

Bwah ha ha! Oh my word! That's hilarious, Marnie. I laughed so hard that DH asked what was so funny. Read it to him, and he's still chuckling. What a cutie that little girl is. And the socks are GORGEOUS! Good job. Perhaps she'll like them tomorrow. ;)

12:04 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

Aren't kids wonderful!? My little one wears the socks I made him for about two minutes. They then are thrown to the side, or he wears them on his hands. I guess I shouldn't get too upset. He pretty much rips off every pair of socks I put on him - hand knit or store bought!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Tina in Wonderland said...

I think you have a pretty little girl, with very pretty new socks.

Maybe she just isn't a morning person!;)

6:05 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

I'm glad to know i'm not the only one with a snob-child. Or maybe you're right, Tina. i wish she would start sleeping in.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home