Monday, February 13, 2006

"Make socks for me, in this yarn."

So my daughter rifled through a yarn basket and handed me this lovely yarn. Crocus, dyed by Morwenna of Mosaic Moon. It's a gorgeous purple, brown, and white organic merino. And I was so overjoyed that she actually asked me to make her something that I dropped everything and started knitting hand-wash only merino toddler socks. What was I thinking? I was thinking "my baby wants something I made! finally!"

So of course there's not enough yarn, and we talk about options. Footies, a different colored top, etc. She chose the matching purple, and when I finished the first one and tried it on her she danced around in glee "my sock! my sock! Make the other one, mamma. Right now."

So i did. But bedtime came upon us and I promised her she could have them this morning to wear on the frigid trek to school in 40,000 feet of snow.

And I worked furiously to finish. This morning, she woke up, and while she sat on the kitchen chair munching her vitamins I showed her. "my socks! You made them!" and I put one on. she looked at it, said "i don't like this sock. take it off, mamma."

And that was that.


Blogger Meri said...

Bwah ha ha! Oh my word! That's hilarious, Marnie. I laughed so hard that DH asked what was so funny. Read it to him, and he's still chuckling. What a cutie that little girl is. And the socks are GORGEOUS! Good job. Perhaps she'll like them tomorrow. ;)

12:04 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

Aren't kids wonderful!? My little one wears the socks I made him for about two minutes. They then are thrown to the side, or he wears them on his hands. I guess I shouldn't get too upset. He pretty much rips off every pair of socks I put on him - hand knit or store bought!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Tina in Wonderland said...

I think you have a pretty little girl, with very pretty new socks.

Maybe she just isn't a morning person!;)

6:05 PM  
Blogger curlypurly said...

I'm glad to know i'm not the only one with a snob-child. Or maybe you're right, Tina. i wish she would start sleeping in.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home