Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Sad State of my Sole

I was standing in the Squid's room rocking rocking rocking her on my shoulder in vain attempts to bring sleep into our home. Suddenly my big toe felt colder than the rest of my foot. Bah. The soles of my non-stripey stripey slippers have worn out. Bah. I live in these things. So I decided to whip up another sole from the tough-as-iron Peace Fleece yarn that I happened to have lying around in a shade that coordinates nicely with the kettle dyed merino I used to knit the things in the first place.



The new soles. Hmm. I'm not sure how it's working out. First of all, the Peace Fleece doesn't stretch the same way the merino does (and yes, i reblocked them after adding the new soles). So suddenly instead of the sole covering my sole, i find that it's a little too short and a little too narrow. It's kind of like i'm balancing on a small plank.



You can see the Squid's little matchy ones in the background there. Not one to be found browsing the "mom and me" racks at Laura Ashley, I made them for her because she kept stealing mine and wearing them as knee socks. I tried to offer a zillion different yarns, including the favorite color RED, but no luck. So she got matchy ones.

I'm thinking my lovely merino slippers are dead. Next time I'm going to double strand the soles, I think. It's a fun pattern to knit up (luckily). One of those where you go "what was she think...OHHHhhhhh."

Very clever, Theresa.

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Ohh, I like the hemlock with the apple green! maybe try some leather soles, though?

2:03 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

as in, get leather? cut leather? sew leather?

um. no.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Grumpy said...

I just happened by your site and blog.....

If Leather isn't an option.... my mum uses this horrible horrible to work with yarn called Phentex slipper yarn and although its a funky fiber, it holds up well for slipper soles. She makes these pixie slippers and dad wears them all year long and they last a good 2-3 years with him wearing, so I'd say they hold up well.

The only drawback is the stuff she used was horrible to work with.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home