Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Industrial Era

I spent all weekend knitting the most insane thing I've ever knit. details to come. I'm not sure I'm allowed to discuss it yet.

Anyway, i've been having a hard time picking up the needles, so i've been devoting some time to research. And I've decided. I'm buying a knitting machine. I've been doing my research, quizzing my machine knitting friends, and I'm taking the leap. I've got it narrowed down to the Aritsan 70D or the Silver Reed SK 160. I'm leaning heavily towards the SK 160.

It's an entirely different world. There are all of these terms i don't get, and the entire concept is just ungraspable to me right now. I'm both dreading and looking forward to the learning experience.

I love hand knitting. I'm not going to stop hand knitting. I get such pleasure from knitting certain things by hand. But i'm starting to feel stifled as a designer by hand knitting, because i can't create the new designs I want to create, keep up with the things I make to sell, and do a little knitting for family and friends, too.

A machine will allow me to use finer gauge yarns, too. Things that right now make me shudder to think of how long it will take to knit it up.

I'm very excited about this. I can't believe it took me this long. If I were sewing I'm sure I wouldn't have hesitated to buy a sewing machine. I wonder what was keeping me?

Anyone have a recommendation of the best place to buy? i can't find a local distributor (which seems insane in this big city).

2 Comments:

Blogger Pamelamama said...

oo let me know what you decide!

1:02 AM  
Blogger Devon said...

I have one of those cheapy ones from Michael's and I love using it. I felt the same way at first, that it was really complicated and like I was cheating, LOL

Once you get the hang of it though, you're golden!! And it's soooooo fast. And you do still have to work for it, so you don't feel like you're copping out.

Have fun!!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home