Sunday, March 26, 2006

More Knitting in the Dark



So I don't know if your kids do this. I don't even know if you have kids. I don't even know who you are so if you'd like to drop a comment every now and then I wouldn't mind too much.

By the way, what's the protocol on that? Do I reply with a comment of my own? reply in the next post?

As I was saying, I don't know about you, but it is TORTURE getting my kid to sleep. We've finally got a system that involves me sitting and knitting in the dark for 2 hours, which is a decided improvement over my kneeling hunched over her bed as she wrapped her entire body around my head.

So more knitting in the dark. Nothing like a cardigan for dark knitting. I did have a few things to fix when i made it back into the light, but, is it just me or does everyone love dropping back stitches, fixing things, and picking up those stitches again? I love doing it.

I've also been playing with color correction and camera settings, for, while i simply live for my Nikon D70, it does tend to over-saturate the reds a bit. Today's photo is a far more accurate representation of the actual colors in the yarn, which, incidentally, is Full Belly Farm organic wool à la Mosaic Moon. The colorway is a kind of subtle, light rainbow.

I'm doing my best to avoid pooling by knitting one row, turning, purling one row, turning, knitting one row, knitting one row backwards. Lather, rinse, repeat. So far, I think it's ok. I fear what happens at the armhole split. Which is why i'm leaning towards a yoke. But then again, raglan might be fine. Remind me why I'm knitting this bottom up? oh yeah, so i could cast it on in the dark.

I've been all project spectrumy, too, but those photos will have to wait for another day. I need to work on those reds.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stitchingmum said...

Oh, I can so sympathise with the bedtime blues - it can also take me anywhere up to several hours some nights to get my 3yo (the youngest of my 3 kids) to sleep. I WISH I could sit in the dark and knit!!!!

3:10 AM  
Blogger HeatherLakin said...

My older daughter used to be *just* like that at bedtime. It would take literally hours to get her to bed and it involved me nursing and patting and slooooowly inching across the bed until she finally fell asleep enough that I could get up. *sigh*

Having daddy take over bedtime helped a lot with transitioning to sleep and with our younger daughter, he put her to bed from about 2 years old on and she never had the sleep problems that her sister had.

Not that that's advice much... just sympathies! ;)

The cardigan is beautiful, can't wait to see the finished product!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

look at you with the regular blog posts! i'm diggin it!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

Lookin' good! Bedtime is hard here, too... esp. since dh is never here for it.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Abigale said...

Hi - I've also been wondering about the whole protocol of replying to posts... If you figure it please drop me a line at abiknits@yahoo.com

My kids are all big now - boy I miss the little ones, but I can well remember the days of trying to get them to bed. For a very long time, I'd just cop out and have them sleep in my bed - then somewhere in my room. I think that if finally came down to me putting them down to sleep in their own room, and boy it was hard - but letting them cry... I am NOT a big proponent of letting kids cry, but when it came down to getting them into their own rooms, it was what I was told to do. It took them a couple of nights, but they ended up getting used to it.

Great blog - thought I'd say hi.

Have fun!

Abi

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home