Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I Heart New York


This photo has nothing to do with this post except that it showed up in the mail yesterday and is a nice Project Spectrum photo.

In response to our family bedtime woes, my husband and i have a schedule. Each of us takes turns helping the beast fall asleep. If I'm in the house, though, she wants me to come. If I'm gone, she could care less. So every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I'm out on the town from about 7:30ish until about 10:30ish.

The first couple of times I went to a local wine bar. It's a good one, called "the place on the side" (it sounds better in italian) because it's next to a great restaurant. The place on the side has a different menu, and a huge wine list. Not that I know anything about wine. But I figure, i should do something productive with my nights on the town so I'm learning.

However, spending three nights a week in a wine bar was becoming expensive, not to mention, you know, sitting alone in a wine bar 3 nights a week. Then I remembered about movies. So I've been going to the movies. This week I saw "Mrs. Henderson Presents", "Inside Man" and "The Squid and the Whale." or is it the whale and the squid? I don't remember. Well, the latter two were the ones I liked best of the three. And you know what's funny? I came home from Inside Man and said to Marco "Hey, guess who was in the movie?" and he immediately said "Ken Leung." And he was right. Ken is a friend of ours whom we haven't seen in YEARS. Since right before I got pregnant and moved out of the country in 2002. And since we've been back (gulp. two years now) we've sucked at getting in touch with old friends. Anyway, it was really nice to see Ken's face slapped on the big old screen and it made me miss him. And a whole era of my life. I directed Ken and another dear friend - the one who introduced me to Ken - Ron Domingo in a little play in 2000ish. Might have been 99. It was really good. I've known Ron since college. And i haven't seen HIM since right before I got pregnant and moved out of the country in 2002, either. But at least HIM i've talked to on the phone.

But I digress because Ken always makes me think of Ron.

So, last night I went to the Squid and the Whale or the Whale and the Squid and who's in it? yeah. Ken Leung. He plays a therapist. Now Ken is such a wise ass that I have a hard time not seeing him as mocking and ironic. Even though that wasn't what he was doing. But I saw it that way.

After the movie, my Squid still wasn't sleeping, so i stopped off - yes - at the wine bar. Yum. I was treated to a little plate of parmesan and an extra-delish Pino Nero from Trentino (don't I sound like I learned something? I didn't. But I like to pretend I did.)

When I got home, to make a perfect night even better, I inspected my movie knitting, a sweater for the newborn son of a good friend of mine. I can't link to her filmography because to the best of my knowledge she doesn't have one. though I think she's done voiceovers for her husband's documentaries.

Anyway, knitting in the dark again. To top off my wonderful evening, i came home and inspected my movie knitting and saw that i hadn't made any mistakes. And I even had a color change. Check this out:


I feel like a rock star.

4 Comments:

Blogger Meri said...

nice job on the movie knitting! And glad the yarn made it to you safely! :)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

love that golden yarn!

you joined xanga for me. that's true love man.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

hey, also... you should put your blog url over there in your xanga page.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Marnie said...

Rebecca! did you really? that's pretty funny. I actually got off my duff and emailed Ron and his wife Lynn, and they called me! turns out they've got a 17 month old daughter and we're getting together at the park this week. yay!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home