Saturday, April 08, 2006

Objects in Mirror Are Different From How They Appear


I saw "Capote" tonight and got a lot of work on my Booga Bag done. The movie was disturbing, Hoffman was amazing (i always like him in everything, though). the knitting was easy and fast. I'm wondering about the outcome, however. it's looking awfully narrow and tall. I have very little experience with felting, however, because I live in New York.

For me felting means paying $1.50 a wash, and not being able to just run the hot wash over and over, but i have to wait there, in the basement (meaning it has to be when my toddler is otherwise occupied and not coming along to help me), take the item out during the cold rinses, and run it again. For another $1.50 in quarters. Needless to say, I'm not big into felting.

So maybe the dimensions are correct on this one. I'm just glad I decided to follow a pattern instead of wing it because these are NOT the proportions i would have gone for. And knitting and felting a swatch? yeah, right.


My new system of having various items to knit under various conditions is working nicely, I must say. I'm ready for the heel flap on Marco's sock, moving it from "mindless knitting" to "have to watch and count" knitting. In the meantime, I got through the increases in my sock, and it's moved from "have to count and pay attention" to "mindless knitting". So I worked on it in the lobby while waiting to line up for the movie. During the movie, i've found that knitting in the dark on 1s isn't the best idea, so when the previews ended i put the sock away and pulled out the booga bag.

Let's talk about this sock. The yarn is from Greenwood Fiberworks etsy store. I bought it several months ago, when this colorway was not yet called the original but simply was the original. Anyway. As you can see, my sock doesn't look like the demo sock at all. In fact, i've ripped this thing out a ton of times in the months i've been holding onto the yarn, trying different sock patterns to get more stripey stripes. Finally I just gave up and went for broke with a basic toe-up. Not only that, I paid no attention at all to where in the pattern i cast on, so these are not only going to be pooly but mismatched and pooly.

Doesn't matter much. I love the yarn. The colors truly are Neapolitan, and the pooling, in my opinion. merely add to that just-opened-the-box-of-ice cream effect.

3 Comments:

Blogger mandy said...

gorgeous looking yarn, thanks for sharing!

mandy
grnmtnmama

10:11 AM  
Blogger Tania A said...

Is it not possible to felt properly by hand? I know I've heard other people talking about it .. don't know how viable it is for something such as a Booga though.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

i've never been able to truly felt by hand, though that does in no way mean it's not possible.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home