Saturday, April 15, 2006

Progress Report



Making progress. Finally able to felt the Booga. I love the way the colors turned out. Marbled, almost. This is after having run through one 10 minute hot wash cycle. I am very happy with the dimensions (4" deep, 6.5" wide, 7.75" tall) It could be a hair shorter, but I'm ok with the size as it is. It's blocking on a child's shoe box, which is the perfect size for the bag as it is now. the top seems a bit flared, but maybe the strap pokeage will alleviate that.

I may run it through again. Though I love the size, It is not SUPER felted. I'm having a hard time getting a clear photo, but this one of the base is clickable to make it bigger. You can barely see the garter stitches.



In this photo you can kind of make out the space between the knitted rows. It's not VERY obvious, it's definitely more felt than not, but the stitches have not completely melted.



The strap is, I think, a bit short. I made it nearly 6' unfelted but it seriously recoiled. Fortunately I have a ton of yarn left over so I can always make another one if necessary. I'm also not used to carrying a girly over the shoulder bag, so I'm a poor judge. I'm usually laden like a Sherpa when out and about.



In other news, I am also making progress on the sweater and my sock. The sweater is a little pooly in areas and nicely variegated in others. I'm trying not to be too anal about it and find the beauty in the random instead. It is, after all, a sweater for a toddler. It'll be covered in mud and dirt most of the time anyway.



And speaking of pooling... this sock yarn is doing the strangest thing. It's making thin stripes of brown with a tiny touch of natural on either side of the stripe, then a wide stripe of random pooling, then another brown/natural stripe again.



Odd, no? I adore this yarn beyond measure, though. I'm knitting it on 1s at a kind of mediumish tension. I wasn't sure if I should stretch it out while knitting or not. I guess I'd say I'm moderately stretching it as I go. It fits like a dream and I'm sure these will be my favorite socks, odd pooling stripes notwithstanding. And the fact that I paid NO attention at all to where in the color sequence I started this sock so who KNOWS what the other one will look like. I'm thinking these aren't the socks to wear under my Mary Janes.

Spring break at The Squid's school snuck up on me, so I've been feeling frantic and over worked these past few days. Here's hoping I finish a few of these projects (namely the sweater) soon. Not looking forward to the button and buttonhole plackets, though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tania A said...

I love the way the booga looks! I don't think it needs extra felting at all.... but that's just me. :)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I really like how your sock is turning out. How many stitches did you cast on? It just looks soooo cool. (from the creator of GreenwoodFiberworks sock yarn :-)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the egg pattern! Though it is currently suffering through tortures no real egg could endure, (landing intact after being thrown from the deck) it looks fine.

I'm not quite sure how to explain that I have an egg that matches my socks.

By the way, after looking at the pictures of the booga bag I have this sudden craving for cheddar cheese...

8:13 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

moor booga photos tomorrow. it's dried, has a strap, and is lovely beyond measure. it it totally a block of cheddar.

Carolyn, i dig your yarn.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home