Finshed the sweater. Of course that's the famous "Child's Placket Sweater" from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. And it was pretty fast, except for my being too lazy to do the math before I started stripes, so I had to tear back a little. But it worked out well in the end, I think. I used Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (it's for a Florida baby) and knit it on 7s which is a bit bigger than usual for me but the fabric is quite nice and there are none of those wobbly bits I sometimes get with cotton knit loosely. In fact, the photo was taken pre-blocking, and aside from puckery seed stitch at the hem I think it looks very even.
In case someone else wants to do stripes and doesn't want to do math, I did 8 rows of seed and 8 rows of st st in the blue, then 13 rows of everything else. For the sleeve I did 8 rows of seed and then 3 rows of st st in blue before switching color and resuming 13 rows per color. I also added a buttonhole and did a single button just under the neckline at the final color change (so it's easy to find when dressing a likely-to-be-screaming newborn baby.
Of course that leaves me with two pairs of socks, a cardigan, and a bag unfinished still. I did actually finish the other things I was knitting, but don't have photographic evidence of that right now.