Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Disaster Film + Knitting in the Dark = gaaahh!

It's been a while. it's been a long week. It's been one of those weeks that seems like a year. Allow me to recap.

After reading that my kid preferred a mass-produced Dora doll to my lovingly handcrafted backpack, my mother ran out and bought one. and wrapped it. and sent it. and The Squid, of course, adores it.

On an unrelated note, we were strolling along Central Park South the other day and the Squid was commenting on how she'd really love to have a nice 4 bedroom in one of those old buildings. Just saying.

On the knitting front, the Green Gable is coming along nicely. I decided to ignore all mistakes and just keep on knitting. Now that I'm at a point where i can really try it on, I have to say you really can't notice the horror that is my lacework. And the fit is divine. I never got the whole top-down raglan thing, but i do now. I'm trying it on every couple of rows and adding an increase here, a decrease there... it's looking great. I love it. Of course I'm no longer following the pattern to the letter. That didn't last long, did it.

Tonight I worked on it while watching Poseidon. Ooooh big mistake. That has to be one of the most hideous, stressful things I have ever paid $10.75 to see. Yeouch. I mean, there's a kid. and his mom.

sigh.

Anyway, the stupid movie is so full of tension that my tension was pretty much turned upside down and stuck in an air bubble. I mean I went from 5 stitches per inch to like 27 stitches per inch. I'm thinking I'm just going to rip out everything I did tonight and start over.

On an interesting note, I met a guy on the street corner outside the theater. It was Brett Carr, director of the upcoming movie REVOLOUTION. And yeah, you're supposed to write it that way.

Anyway, the director of this movie was standing on the street corner handing out free tickets. good for a whole week, you pick the time. Not one of those "here's a free ticket but you have to go at 4am next Monday" things. We talked for a while, because I said "oh yeah, I've seen that trailer a few times."

"A few?" he said. "How many movies do you go to see?"

And I told him about my whole escape from the house thing. I actually said "my kid is learning how to fall asleep without me." and he said "Oh, you can't do that! she's not supposed to fall asleep without you. You're supposed to be there cuddling her. What is that, some Ferber thing?"

I was of course at once guilty and horrified. "oh NO!" I assured him and explained how I had nursed my kid until she was three. How I let her decide when she was done. I told him I used cloth diapers "and i hand knitted her diaper covers so she had nothing but natural fibers..." man, i was full on guilt with that one.

But I got over it eventually when he said a comment that made me giggle but that I won't repeat here. And we talked about the movie, and stuff like that. He was an interesting and very normal seeming guy for being a director who stands in front of movie theaters on Tuesday nights handing out free tickets to guilt-ridden mothers and I can't wait to see the movie. It's next week. I've got passes. Who's coming?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamelamama said...

wahhh i want to come.

i used to watch the old skool poseidon adventure. as a mom, i dont think i could handle the new one. ouch.

1:42 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

What a great story. Hope your Mum gets you the apartment!!!

2:50 AM  
Blogger Davina said...

I want to come!!! You live an interesting life.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home