Monday, May 01, 2006

The Party's Over



So, she likes it. She doesn't love it but she likes it. And I've realized something. She loves the clothes I make her. She doesn't care for the toys. Time for me to stop foisting them on her. I'm going to just back off for a while. If you hear of me making a toy for her, slap me, would you?

You know what sealed it? The hostess of our fabulous party had a beanie baby Dora doll. The Squid was beside herself, and despite all of the wonderful gifts she got, she fell asleep muttering "I wish I had a Dora just like that."

I offered - what if I make a Dora outfit for one of your handmade dolls?

"hmm. well...? no."

Ok, if you need mass production, what if I make a Dora outfit for that Cabbage Patch doll - she's Latina and everything.

"hmm. well....? no."

Ok. What if I knit you a Dora doll, from scratch, top to bottom, and I even fill it with beans, like the beanie baby?

"hmm. well...? how 'bout we buy one?"

And so I thought... why not? why do I insist she must love hand made toys? She loves Dora. I remember being a kid and wanting The Latest Toy and when my grandmother crocheted me one that was Just As Good, I was devastated. It does need to be the mass produced one. because that's the REAL one.


At least we agree on one thing. Cake rocks.

More photos on flickr.

4 Comments:

Blogger none said...

I have made so many crocheted and knitted clothes for my kids that only I end up liking. I love the backpack. Isn't it funny how we become more attached to the handmade stuff than the kids? Happy Birthday to the Squid! Maybe you can surprise her with a Dora doll.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

LOL Kids are funny. Yes, cake does rock!!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Tania A said...

She has the most adorable hair. Ugh. I'm going into a coma from the cuteness! :)

7:02 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

It's a hard lesson to learn, but I guess hand crafted is generally only be appreciated when we get older. I personally think the bag is great, and I'm sure if you keep it well, she will adore it once she's old enough to. At least she had good taste in food.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home