Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's a Scarf, It's a Throw...

... It's the world's largest gauge swatch. And since it's 7 ounces of organic shetland hand painted by Mosaic Moon, it's likely to be the world's priciest swatch, too.

So what gives? oh, this old thing? this is just a little something I not only whipped up but frogged and whipped up eight times tonight. On my brand spanking new (to me) Brother KX 350 knitting machine thankyouverymuch.

swoon.

It's interesting. It's a different kind of zen. It still is completely mesmerizing and the rhythm is definitely soothing. and i was standing with the thing clamped onto a counter so it was also quite a workout as I swayed side to side.

It's not as fiddly and weird as I thought it would be. Far less fiddly and weird than a sewing machine, for example. and quite a bit larger. Cause, you know, there was that little 1 square inch of my bitty apartment left all uninhabited by yarn or some kind of computer thing.

Anyway, I'm a while away from actually designing anything on this behemoth, but i do so love the possibilities it allows me to dream up. the only REAL drawback is that it's a little clackity-clackity to be doing while the Squid is abed. So right now i'm itching to rip out my swatch and knit it again but I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pamelamama said...

ooo congrats on your new addition!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

is the 350 a bulky machine? I have the 7 gauge machine but haven't used it since i graduated 4 years ago! it does make quite a bit of noise though. i always wondered what the people in the apartment below me thought was going on!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

it's not a bulky. it's a 7mm "mid-gauge" but i pushed it way up there (knitting Inca Cotton - usually 3.5/in on 10.5s) and it was hard but worked.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Think of the schmattes you can knit with that! I can't wait to see what you create on it.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home