Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Nice and Quiet

You know things are bad when a three year old comes into your bedroom where you're hiding out, knitting in hand, feet tucked under down duvet for that little bit of cozy when it's 459 degrees outside and says "ahhh. it's nice and quiet in here."

We have an extra three year old in the house. The Squid's friend is staying with us while her parents are away and it's total mayhem. Like I imagine it must be having twins around. Except twins are used to having someone else in the way. This is like having two only-child twins around.

But while I was hiding under the duvet, things got quiet for a bit. Like all parents, i had that inner struggle of "they must be doing Something Evil" vs. "who cares? they're not screaming at each other."

Who cares won and I waited a long while, knitting in trepidation until I heard "Look mamma, I look just like a tiger!"



If you don't get the tiger reference, you're not alone. incidentally, that color? that's what you get when you paint a child with every color in the watercolor box.

I handed them a bunch of wipes and a few different kinds of soap and went back to knitting.



Did you read the Harlot's post today? If anyone ever asks me "What's a Yarn Harlot?" this is the post i would point out. Witty, helpful, answering the pleas of a knitter in need, nostalgic, full of cocktails, photo essays, step by step displays of both a technique and a trick, finishing with a self-deprecating punch line.

5 Comments:

Blogger Davina said...

LMAO!!!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Hilarious! I love the line about twin only-children. We can picture it exactly.
Good for you for knitting through it. You need to maintain sanity and hey, you wouldn't have had that adorable photo if you had been on top of them the whole time. I really like that you let them clean themselves up too. That must have given you a good half hour to knit some more!

YarnHarlots post was the best! She makes everything seem possible. Which I guess it is when you are well lubricated. :-D

10:21 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I have a two year old girl and I look after a two year old boy during the week. My only child with a child whose sibling is nine years older. I hear your pain!! I've been doing this for over a year now. They still fight like cats and dogs. Needless to say, I loooove nap time!!
I knit through things too. You have to. Otherwise the only thing left to do would be to scream like a banshee and pull out your hair.
I love the Yarn Harlot's website. She is hilarious.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Lots of angelic curls making mayhem in that pic!

2:20 PM  
Blogger SpiderWomanKnits said...

That is SO funny and I completely relate!

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home