Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Weird Little Internet




I finished my Green Gable. I'm pleased. I knit the medium in Classic Elite Premiere, added 1 set of increases at the hip, and added 35 rows to make the sleeves elbow-length. I decreased at rows 5, 10, 25, and 30. In the photo I'm looking at the disaster my kid is creating in the 30 seconds her father and I are otherwise occupied, and of course, that's the only non-blurred photo.

Now that's out of the way. What I really want to talk about is this.

I got an email this morning. The subject was "sit down." Lucky for me I was already sitting, because it was an email from someone with whom I have not spoken in 15 years. And she found me because we were both part of the Green Gable knit-a-long, and she recognized me from my "finished" photo. how's that for nuts?

Liz and I went to high school together. We rode on the bus together, always snagging the "Tultravox" seat (don't ask) and pulled the earphone thingys off the headband thingy so we could each hold one up to an ear and be listening to the same song at the same time. She was Viv to my Neale when Halloweeneed as the Young Ones. We went to the Alarm in concert together. She was the only person in my class that was shorter than I was.

She is, obviously, a knitter. Claims she was part of Sr. Sallie's knitting club. is it odd that one of my first thoughts reading this email from the past was "there was a KNITTING club?"

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamelamama said...

ooo *chills*

5:39 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Yes, there was a knitting club, and it was to be conducted in total silence. Sister Sallie's (bless her soul) club was the Stitch and The Bitch.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Stephieface said...

Gosh, I wonder how many of those kinds of "lost connections" I've totally lost from looking at unknown (and possibly married) names and subject lines like "sit down".

7:26 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

That is crazy!! The internet is so cool :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Firstly, Green Gable looks great, nice job. Secondly, what a cool story about your old friend, isn't the internet amazing?

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home