Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Long Summer

Wow. It's been ages. The Squid's been out of school and MAN. I cannot understand how parents of toddlers survive without preschool. Every second is us going here or there or to the pool or to this friend's house or that friend at our house, or to the children's museum (free on Thursdays) or to the zoo... and by the time I get home I'm to tired to think, must less string words together in an intelligent and/or entertaining fashion.

Oh, and? She's chosen NOW to give up naps.



But I've been knitting anyway. Finally finished the lollipop sweater, gave it a little mandarin collar and buttons from The Celtic Tree new home to Mosaic Moon yarns (the sweater was knit from Full Belly Farm organic wool yarn dyed by Mosaic Moon. The benefit of this yarn is that there is so much stuff clogged in it - twigs, straw, etc. - that it really doesn't matter how dirty my kid plays in it.).

What else?



Made a sweater from Inca Cotton. Love that stuff. It's been sweaterriffic around my house. You'd never believe it's been 225 degrees every single day.

I made this one, too.



and a smattering of toys, like this:



I'm deep into a sock, as well, and deciding that I really hate making socks. I just can't stand it. I do love to WEAR handknitted socks, though, so I plug ever onward. I'm thinking I need to start limiting myself to carrying ONLY a sock with me as my traveling project, so I must progress or sit on a train and not knit, which is a kind of blasphemy worse punishable by worse than sock knitting.

I am working on the design of two women's sweaters (for me, natch) and I'm constantly itching to get some work in on those. I've ripped out the front of one no less than 4 times, looking to get it right. I'm in a Knitting Sweaters Flat phase, which is both alarming and unsettling to me. I'm not sure what that's about. I suppose it has something to do with my desire to someday actually be able to knit something useful on my knitting machine. But also I like the fit of a well-seamed garment.

I must be running a fever.

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

Nice to see you back in the world again, CP. I had a feeling you were putting that knitting machine to good use.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

it's good to be back. i haven't had the knitting machine out in ages. i just can't find the motivation to set it up when it's 4,000 degrees out. it's a workout, not nice, effortless, sitting.

someday soon.

6:17 PM  
Blogger none said...

Your sweaters are all fabulous! I must try some of that Inca Cotton.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Phew! Nice to hear from you, I was actually starting to worry...

I love that lollipop sweater. So adorable and such cheerful colours.

You have been very prolific in your blog absence! And it is so hot there right now - but still you are knitting long sleeved sweaters! Very impressive.

Sounds like you and Squid are creating a summer full of memories. Have fun!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

missed your blog!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I bookmarked you girlie girl and then you stopped writing. The nerve! Love the new stuff and am SO glad to see you back in the blogisphere.

OH, and I'm seriously considering persuing a PhD at NYU to begin in 2010--perhaps we'd be neighbors. Well, sorta.

:)

Jesse

9:38 PM  
Blogger earthchick said...

Gorgeous stuff!

One of my boys is trying to give up afternoon naps, so I know the hell you speak of. I need the precious quiet time, but he doesn't seem to get that!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Tania A said...

Beautiful stuff, all of it! Glad to see you're awake and alive-ish! When's the munchkin go back to school?

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home