Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What I Made Over Summer Vacation



I made this. Yes, it's another sweater. But this one is fun and interesting. It's the first pattern I've written that is for either hand or machine knitting. It's got some tricky bits in it to take advantage of the machine's super-human powers (yes, machines have more up their sleeve than simply doing stockinette faster than my grandma) and even the trim can be done on your most basic machine (as in, mine).

I'm trying to decide if it closes with simple i-cord loops and monkey fists or more ornate frogs.

I started a pair of Widdershins and lost them. They're around here somewhere. I actually just started any old pair of toe-ups but my friend Kim pointed out that with this pattern I could achieve the best of both worlds: I love a toe-up sock because I like the figure 8 cast-on and the speedy increases. and I love that i can make it as long a sock as i like by just knitting until i finish the yarn. I never outgrew my junior high compulsion of wearing my socks scrunched down and the longer the socks the more shin coverage you get in the winter, even while scrunched. But I love the way a heel-flap fits and feels. And it so happens i had cast on these toe-ups in the yarn called for by the Widdershins pattern, Brown Sheep's Wildfoote Luxury Sock Yarn in Brown Sugar, which I had lying around. not that it really matters which yarn you use. I have to say I found the yarn anything but luxurious. it feels pretty plasticky to me. Which is why i think I lost them, accidentally on purpose. I'm sure they're here somewhere.

Speaking of Knitty, my friend Pam has a pattern in Knitty. It's acually her second pattern, and this one is extremely cool. Pam designed Knucks.

Now allow me my moment of horn tooting. See, all of those cool people who knit samples? I was one of them. Ok, my embroidery wasn't as exciting and wonderful as the samples you see there (an aside, Elizabeth who did those amazing "HARM NONE" Knucks, and is shown in all her gorgeousness modeling them, is a master machine knitter and the one who holds my hand through it all.), but I had great pictures. See, my Knucks are two-sided knucks. So my picture is of my friend the rock star, with her kid one one hip and mine on the other (cause they could be twins, so for photographic license we're pretending they are) and her eyes are rolled to the heavens and we see her Knucks which read: OMG! WTF?

Next photo: rock star is all dolled up, photo taken from front row in a concert. She's wearing like a silver lame miniskirt or something. She's playing her bass and we see her Knucks, reversed to read "ROCK STAR". cause you know, some days you feel like a rock star, but some days you feel like OMG! WTF?

Isn't that clever? Thing is? I never took the photos.

So there goes my 15 minutes.

Oh, AND? I named that cool stitch Pam made up for the cuffs. I called it the "Wandering Jew Stitch" you know, like the plant. Because the start of round wanders as you knit it. And the stitch, combined with the color of yarn I chose looked leafy. And Pam's Jewish. But Knitty cut the stitch name.



I also have a kid-sized pair for my Squid: Pam made them for her and they say ROCK ROLL and I was gonna take a cool photo of The Squid sitting on top of a tire swing or something making the "rock and roll" hands. This is as close as I got.

That's Pam's sister's double stroller she's sulking in. Pam's son is in the front. See? proof that I really do know her.

Oh, I made one more thing this summer:

12 Comments:

Blogger Tania A said...

Oh Wow! Congratulations!

10:33 PM  
Blogger none said...

Congrats! And cute sweater, too.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Hee Hee Hee!

I kept going back to the Knucks pattern as I read your post, thinking, how in the world did I miss Squid in Knitty? Glad I didn't!

11:16 PM  
Blogger nat said...

Congratulations! :-)

11:33 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Congrats! :) I love the little knucks there too.

12:26 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

WOWEE! Congratulations!

1:00 AM  
Blogger Sara M. said...

Congrats! How exciting! :o)

10:49 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Hey congrats!! You sure do make a cute kid :)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Oh My God!!
Congratulations!
Squid will be a big sister! how wonderful for all of you.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Congratulations! Awesome news!

Very cute little sweater.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

I got this awful sinking feeling as I read your post, imagining that I had somehow LOST your photos or done something equally horrible. Then I got to the punch line. Can you hear me saying "PHEW!"...

hug! kiss!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

congratulations! what wonderful news!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home