Sunday, September 03, 2006

I'm a Sucker



She begged for a red elephant. Swore up and down she would actually like it for more than a minute. I didn't believe her but made it anyway. I had a random skein of red bulky merino lying around without purpose so i went for it. Finished it up Showed it to her. She stood in silent contemplation for a moment and then dropped to a little downward dog and said "I need one that does this. And softer."

Well, I expected it and I'm over it. But here's the challenge. I am willing to figure out how to make the elusive 4-legged creature (so far i've only worked out short leggedy critters like cats and dogs) but I need yarn help. I'm willing to throw aside my desire for natural fibers. I'm thinking Berroco Softy kind of soft, but in a thicker, cushier yarn. Stuffing would fall right out of Softy. My LYS owner is as much of a natural fibers snob as I am (and it was she who introduced me to Softy as "yeah, I know it's fake but it's really soft.") so I'm not going to find a whole lot there. Tell me what I need.

On a happier toy note, what do you make a toymaker? Her family in toys.



My friend Stellaria of Fern & Faerie made this little representation of my family (to be) in celebration of the next little family member.

The mom has a removable pregnant belly and there's the sweetest little tiny baby. Stell just released the patterns to make these dolls and of course I snatched it right up. you can sew the clothes by hand, but I'm going to try to adapt the patterns to knit the clothing from leftover sock yarn. cause I'm a big geek.

She has some other very cool patterns over there, even for the sewing-wary like myself. Like the baby doll you can make from an orphaned sock. I wish I had the luxury of having the space for a "craft box" or something lying around so I could be one of those people. Like the Magyver of crafts.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I never thought of elephants doing yoga, but yes, she's correct! They do the downward dog.

That is a sweet elephant, though.

Have you considered any chenille yarns?

12:42 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

That is too sweet - how very precious.

I read a yoga book for kids and they had a pic of a toy elephant doing a pose - if I remember the name I will post it for you. Your elephant is very cute.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Hey~~~ I Saw your blog on somewhere...I just want to say really like your knitting blog!! Nice pic and knitting stuff-I love your little elephabt guy..so cute!!! Thank you for show me!!

Visit my knitting blog some time!!!
Bye~~

1:56 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Love the elephant. So cute.

Your friend did a good job on the doll family.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

The elephant is great -- have you seen Barbar's Yoga book?

That family is just incredible -- what an amazing present!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh your little knitted toys are gorgeous, and I love the elephant and the lion is so cute. I also like your knitted jumpers, the lollipop one is so beautiful in color.

6:56 PM  
Blogger supersonic said...

OMG that elephant is adorable. Great job!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home