Saturday, September 16, 2006

Knitful Weekend in NYC

First, tonight the Harlot is speaking in Brooklyn. I'm even contemplating leaving the borough for that. Impressive, huh? Then tomorrow is the big Knit Out in Union Square. I was rather underwhelmed last year, but it is only a few blocks away from me so it feels sacreligious to avoid it. We shall see.

As for me? I finished a sweater for a 6-year old in Blue Sky Alpacas organic cotton (yum, but sheddy) and a little scarf for the Squid (AKA playing around with the yarn to see what I could think of and the Squid adopted it) from Jamie Harmon self-striping angora/merino blend. Divine. I always sort of thought angora would be hideously sneezy. It's not.

I'm also more into the Clapotis and more into not liking it. Oh well. I love the yarn, and the pattern does show the yarn off beautifully. I'm just not thrilled about the Clapotis itself.

And I think I've found a yarn soft enough for the Squid to love. The thing is, I could knit her a sweater out of barbed wire and she'd be happy, but she has a soft obsession when it comes to something to fondle. For a long time the item of choice was a microfiber eyeglass cleaning cloth which she clutched round the clock. So It's a bizarre kind of soft she'll approve of.

So far she's agreed to give Touch Me a whirl. But she doesn't want me to knit from it. She just likes rubbing a strand of it. Of course I won't let her sleep with a strand of yarn because visons of strangling herself with rayon chenille dance through my head, so when she lets me try to knit something from it, we'll see if she really goes for it.

I feel it should be a blanket but $15 for 61 yards for a blanket she might like seems a bit much. I'd rather attempt a little one-skein doll of some kind. Who knows. I'd love more than anything in the universe to make her something she absolutely adores.

She woke me up this morning (no mean feat these days) saying "Mamma, it's wake up time. But don't get up because there's a baby in your belly. I brought you this." and she handed me an enormous skein of Henry's Attic "Cuddles" Alpaca Boucle (if you haven't seen it, it's this huge, fluffy yarn in a ball bigger than my head which is best knit up on 13-15s) and a pair of 32" size 1 circulars and said "Here, stay in bed and knit yourself some socks. Papa will bring you breakfast."

4 Comments:

Blogger nat said...

Touch me is so lovely. It's silky and ahhh. I hope you get to make something for her with it. :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Tif Johnson said...

ahhh, M is so sweet. :inlove: she will be such a doting older sis.

i hope you are having a great weekend marnie :)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

Oh.My.Goodness that is so sweet.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Ellen Alexandra said...

That is so cute! I almost burst out laughing!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home