Thursday, October 26, 2006

All About the Professor.

Well, not all about him. It's hard to say all about anyone, isn't it?

The Professor was born 3 weeks after my Squid was born. They met when we moved to this country, so the kids were about 9 months old. Here's that auspicious meeting:



That's the Professor reaching out to touch the Squid's face. See how their teeny toes are intertwined? See their matching diapers? Aren't they sweet?

Though the Proffer lived ages away, we got together several times a year, when he came to visit his Great Grandma Shirley the former vaudvillian tap dancer from Coney Island. Or we'd go see him when we needed a little vacation, a little suburbia, a little peace and quiet.

Through the years the kids have spent a lot of time together. He's a great kid, a nice and kind (if a bit demanding and opinionated) kid. He's a big brother now, to a 7 month old baby. He goes to school, he has a kind of intense affinity for nursery rhymes. He has a brain tumor.

I've been talking to his mom. He's been sick to his stomach a lot lately. Dairy? Soy? Gluten? We've run through the various potential causes. She'd call me from the health food store asking me to look up this or that product. I did my research thing because that's what I do.

So yesterday she told me that she was called to pick him up at school because he was pale and wobbly. She said she'd call after she came home from the doctor but she didn't call.

The Professor has a brain tumor. Apparently it's rather large. They don't know what kind it is or anything about it. Who knew that vomiting was a main symptom of a brain tumor?

Anyway, I'm here feeling completely impotent, so I'm doing something. Whatever I can, however lame. So I quickly wrote up the pattern for that chemo hat. It makes a nice winter hat, too, actually. I wore one all winter last year, before it became a chemo hat. It's not much but the best I can do immediately. And I just needed to do something immediately.

So it's for sale here, as a downloadable PDF. I don't know what else to do but I figure money, right? the thing no one wants to think about but it's there. I know they're going to supplement whatever standard care he needs with some natural care, too, and those things, and the comforts, the travel, the time off from work... well, if nothing else they can buy him a really kick-ass present, right?

9 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

I am so deeply, painfully sad for the Professor. I will focus on good health, strength, and joy for him. Thank you for selling the hat pattern to help pay for his care.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I started reading your blog when I was trying to be part of the knitting blogs web ring and you were at the top of the list the day before I was submitted. I am sitting here at work and just decided to check some blogs and was so taken by the beautiful picture. But I am so upset after reading about the Professor. The hat pattern is a great idea and being a good friend is even better.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I'm truly upset for the Professor and his family, as well as for you, Squid, and all the others who care about him and his family. It feels so inadequate to sell a hat pattern, but I'm sure it means the world to them. Your gesture and action of care will buoy them, and the funds will be helpful too.

Can we help spread the word on XRK? We have a lot of readers in common, but you might get some more contributors. The knit blog community is a generous one.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

Wow, I did not expect to come upon that in your post. I am so incredibly sorry that the Professor and family are going through such an awful thing. I will be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

I think the pattern is a wonderful idea.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

How terrifying for his family!
I am so, so sorry this is happening.
You are a wonderful friend, and the hat is a fantastic idea.
I will be back tomorrow to order the pattern.
Sending you an e-hug {{}}

11:57 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

I don't really have any words except that I hope he pulls through this and can be a healthy boy for a long long long time! I think it's awesome that you are doing something to help him, however small or however big.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Woman who knits said...

How terrible. It is so sad how life changes too quickly. I have a friend from Florida whose 2 year old just started radiation at St. Jude's this week. It is so hard for everyone to deal with.

This is a wonderful thing you are doing. Many positive thoughts and prayers to The Professor and his family.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I sent what I could, poor little dear. Hope he came through today okay!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

I cannot even imagine the pain of what that family must be going through. Thank you for doing this, Curly Purly. I know that his family will thank you as well. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do, and please keep us updated on the Professor's progress (because he will make positive progress).

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home