Friday, October 20, 2006

Oh yes. I made more socks.



These were knitted from the excellent "Widdershins" pattern from Knitty. The pattern was in the summer issue but seems to not have made it to the archive. Not sure what's up there. Anyway, the first sock gave me fits, but only because I insisted that if you have 36 stitches and add one you get 47. The second sock, once I got the counting thing down, was a dream to knit.

I used Brown Sheep Wildfoote Luxury Sock in the "Brown Sugar" colorway. I got this yarn from someone in a trade, I think. It's really anything but luxury, but it's fine. They don't feel icky while wearing them, which I was kind of afraid of, because they certainly felt icky while knitting them.



I also made these. They're for the Squid, she chose the colors from my stash of little leftover balls from Mosaic Moon. This is an organic merino that is everything the Wildfoote is not. Namely, luxurious. And not so much superwash, hence the halo you see in the photo. They've been through the wash once already. Surprisingly, they survived with only an excess of fuzz, no felting at all. Lucky for me my husband is a fan of the cold wash.

I knit these two at a time using magic loop. I always magic loop socks, but this was my first foray into the two at a time deal. I love it and will never look back. I also just made up the pattern using a short row, garter stitch heel, and that made life so much easier. no thinking. One of my biggest problems with sock knitting is that I use socks as my "go everywhere" project, and yet I always come to a point where I need to count and think - and that point generally arrives at an inappropriate moment, so the socks go on hold and I get stuck sitting somewhere without anything to knit.



Finally, a sweater. I made this using Targhee hand painted by Dashing Dachs. The yarn was sent to me by the sweater recipient's mom, and I have to say it grew on me. I wasn't so sure of those colors together but in the end I really like it. It reminds me of those blue-skied autumn days. Very unlike any we've had thus far in New York City.

Speaking of New York City, I'm desperately seeking a real 2 bedroom apartment for rent starting in January. So if you hear of anything, please let me know!

(By the way, Blogger's spell check wanted to replace "superwash" with "superego". I think that's perfect.)

11 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

I am in love with the Widdershins. I have serious counting problems with gussets and heel flaps and stuff, and this pattern is very intuitive.

When I first saw the pic of the little pink socks, I thought you were trying to tell us something about the baby-to-be.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Yay, you did it!!

Everything looks great :)

4:11 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

ha! nice knits! :)

2:45 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

The Wildefoot socks are pretty! I think I have that same color yarn in my stash. I'm not wild (he he!) about the yarn itself, but the color! Yum! You did a nice job on those and on Squid's socks.

8:57 AM  
Blogger aija said...

The Widdershins are nice! I felt the same way about knitting with the wildfoote, but they have held up and softened quite a bit (I used it for toddler socks, which have been thru the wash & worn pretty hard by my little one.)

1:28 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

love the color of those Widdershins! I suspect they'll soften. I wash all my hand knit socks in the cold/delicate cycle inside a mash bag, and NEVER put them in the dryer, and they see to do fine. even koigu.
LOL all your great comments on your knitting adventures...

2:09 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Hey - you made more socks! Have you got the bug? Dangerous things these handknit socks.

I thought the little pink socks were for the new baby when I saw them. They are precious for the Squid. How cozy.

Superego!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/index.html
If you replace "fall" with "summer" in the knitty URL you can get the widdershins pattern.

Socks look great. :) I did a garter SR heel on my first pair of socks and it was so easy... I'm scared to try anything else.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those little socks. I need to find a free pattern to make some socks for my soon-to-be soon because I only have 1 baby knits book and I dont like the pattern in it! Your pink sockies are sooo cute! Everything baby to me is cute though - lol

8:22 PM  
Blogger fibersnob said...

Squid's socks are ultimate cute!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Meri said...

Love the socks! They are just stunning -- both pairs! Great work!

And the sweater looks great -- especially on the recipient. ;)

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home