Saturday, November 18, 2006

Serendipity, perhaps.

So I bought this discontinued Rowan Chunky from Ebay. It was cheap, I bought 9 skeins (all there was. I admit the odd numberness of it bothered me.). I'm lukewarm about the color, but did I mention it was cheap?

I had been planning on making myself an Elizabeth Zimmerman Tomten from this yarn, but I'm running short on time, and in need of something to fit over this belly of mine. So I broke out the knitting machine and went to work on the Ella Rae Wrap Sweater. I had contemplated making the Tomten in stockinette on the machine (would have been a breeze) and I may yet do that. But for now, I wanted to play around a little.

Well, the 9 skeins wasn't really enough since I'm knitting at a tightish gauge for this yarn, and the sweater needs to be rather, um, wide.

So I was hemming and hawing and found these beautiful skeins of Tabitha rayon boucle dyed by Little Turtle Knits nestled in my stash. I've been hoarding it and wondering what to add to it to make it enough yarn for something. And the match is perfect.



trim goes around the cuffs, the bottom (yeah, that lighter color boucle trim around my hips isn't going to be the most flattering choice i could have made, but oh well.), up the fronts, into a shawl collar. I'm contemplating adding pockets and trimming the pockets, too - sort of a mock shearling thing.

I'm not sure if the belt should be the boucle or the original yarn, i'm thinking the original but i'm not sure i have enough left.

I knit up the main pieces on the machine and now i'm adding the boucle trim by hand. I have to say this pattern is kind of hard to keep track of, especially the top where you're decreasing on the armhole side every other row and your neckline side every 3rd row... it's just not intuitive. I love the armscye, though. The sleeve fits in there perfectly and lays beautifully. It's similar in fit to a hybrid set-in/drop shoulder I've been using a lot lately, but this is much more curvy and elegant. I like it a lot.

It loses a bit of perfection for me since i sized up (and added yet more in the width). Had I known how the arm would fit I would have made the top to fit and only enlarged the bottom part. I was thinking it was a wrap sweater and an extra size wouldn't hurt. Oh well.

In other sweater news, the EZ seamless hybrid creeps along. It's boring. I need a trip to the movies for some knitting to pound out that last sleeve and get to the exciting bits.

In non-knitting news, Nat the Professor continues to improve. He's going through his first round of chemo right now and I'm waiting to hear how that's going. We're hoping to take a trip to see them next week, if he's up to it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pamelamama said...

need more pictures!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Oh, you and the macro shots of the WIPs!

Looks like a good improvisation, though.

11:05 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

Looking beautiful whether you had enough yarn or not! :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Marnie said...

I'm not trying to be dramatic. i linked the pattern photo! there are just only so many ways you can take photos of a pile of unseamed sweater bits and make it look exciting!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the Professor is doing well!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the Professor is doing well!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

So glad to hear the Professor is doing well.
Can't wait to see your sweater on. I am sure it will look good - very inventive to come up with the boucle trim.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home