Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Knitting for Baby


Made a couple of teeny tiny soakers. I used some delicious yarn I had on hand - the "near solid" blue is an organic merino that makes you weep it's so soft, and the multi-hued purple, blue, and brown is another organic wool that is a bit sturdier. I used the merino for the trim. Both yarns come from Mosaic Moon and I adore the colors.

Though I used to knit soakers for a living, and though the pattern is my own, I was surprised to see how much I'd forgotten. I had to read along with my instructions and made a few mistakes. I have to admit coming to a few spots where i thought to myself "oh, hey, that was pretty clever of me."

Choosing blue was pure accident, i just grabbed from my stash. I'm struggling with the concept of having a boy - not that i wanted another daughter, but I am used to the concept of being the mother to a daughter. I'm having a hard time getting my head around having a son. I guess it's better than last time when i couldn't picture myself with a child at all.

Also, I tend to loathe blue, we're not big sports people, and camouflage as fashion statement pokes me in my pacifism. So I'm glad I'm a knitter and can make my kid things that avoid those three staples of "boy clothes." So what do I knit first? Blue. Of course.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

Did I miss the news that you were having a boy? Blue looks good on everyone as far as I'm concerned, but I think it is all the years in Catholic school uniforms that have given me my loathing of navy.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

Wait... you're having a boy!?! How exciting!!! Congrats!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Mama Llama said...

I felt the same way when I was pregnant and found out I was having a boy. It was so strange and scary. I thought "I know nothing about boys!" (never mind that I have a father and a husband). And, I didn't like any of the boy's clothes I saw. I was convinced the child would be forever naked. Now? I couldn't imagine being Momma to any other creature on this earth - I guess the goddesses knew what they were doing. You will feel the same. Just remember to keep a stack of prefolds next to the changing area to cover any "fountains".

6:34 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

I believe my exact quote was "what the hell am I going to do with a boy??"

i need my patterns to knit my old stuff too. when people ask me questions I'm like, uh... I dunno, ask on the forums.

6:45 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

a little boy?! too sweet... LOVE the soakers....wish i was having a baby! :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi Marnie.
I have a son and we are way not sports people either. I find there is a whole world of super fun clothes thats not just camo and soccerballs.

Lizards, Dinosaurs, Robots, Frogs and various animals are our favorites.

Greens, purples and reds are great too.

I bet youll have more fun shopping for boy stuff than you may think!

-random from WW

12:19 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Almost any bright colors do wonderfully for boys: red, green, yellow. Camo on little boys just rubs me the wrong way, too.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Congrats on the boy!!! My first is a boy and when I was pregnant the second time I wanted another boy because I thought 2 of the same would be easier. And like you I "knew" how to be a mother to a boy. Well now I have Meredith and I couldn't imagine it any other way. :)

Melissa

6:14 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Congratulations on having a boy! They are quite different then girls I tell you! I'm learning that the hard way after having a girl. But they are fun! And blue is a great color, you'll get used to it!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Oh congrats! I didn't realize you were having a boy. Thank goodness you have created an alternative for yourself when it comes to his wardrobe. I work with young children and I am amazed at how many of the boys are in head to toe camo - and we are in Canada. West Coast of Canada - wtf??
Love the soakers.

1:37 AM  
Blogger fibersnob said...

Little boys are their own species altogether! When the doctor said "it's a boy" I was shocked but having him has been the most fun I've ever had. It's a bit scary at first, having had no experience being a boy yourself. I wouldn't want it any other way though, my little guy is the best thing that ever happened to me.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home