Friday, March 09, 2007

Kettle Dyed Yarn

Is there anything more beautiful? Really. I'm obsessed with the subtle variations (and sometimes downright odd colors) that spring out of a "nearly solid" yarn when it's being knit up.


This is the beginning of a cardigan I'm making for a classmate of the Squid. Her mom is a friend of mine and a wonderful photographer and she took a bunch of photos of me a while ago - some great photos of my hands making stitches that I'll use someday for something useful. Her daughter is a pink and purple fairy princess fiend and I thought a cardigan in her colors - but in a beautiful, earthy way, would be a nice thank-you.

The yarn is Targhee dyed by Mountain Colors in their "Ladyslipper" colorway which they claim is "Lavender, Mushroom, Taupe, and Peaceful Peach." The yarn is perfect for a spring sweater - heavy enough for those "do I need a jacket?" days, but soft and rugged enough for a kid. She may be a princess, but princesses roll around on the playground, too, you know.


This is a scarf I made for my husband, to coordinate nicely with his panta. Yes, he wears a panta. Want to make something of it?

The yarn is a merino from Ebay vendor "100purewool" in the color "black," which, of course, it isn't. This yarn is remarkably similar to Malabrigo (the Malabrigo version of this same color is the yarn used for that little photo of me in the grey hat in my profile). I think the Ebay version is slightly thinner, and slightly less pilly. You can see in this photo that the scarf that my husband's been wearing for less than a month now is already hazy. It's not sturdy yarn, but it is soft, and I do love the near solids. The multiple color variagations from both Malabrigo and 100Purewool make me crazy because it's never what you see pictured, and no two skeins are ever alike. In my experience, no two skeins are ever even alike enough to use side-by-side. I do love the solids, though.


Last but certainly not least - here is another pair of baby pants (full photo here) knit from an organic merino hand dyed by Mosaic Moon. While her multicolor variegated yarn is more popular, I am enamored with her solids. Look at that depth. The richness of the color makes me want to lick it. And I have to say, I'm not generally a huge fan of purple.

So that's what I've been into lately. All of the soakers and pants has been about using up odd balls, and most of that isn't even yarn I purchased for myself, but leftovers from various projects which were chosen for me. It's nice to get back to knitting with yarn I've chosen.

7 Comments:

Blogger Elinor said...

That black scarf jumped out at me - it's so beautiful and yet so simple! I'm sure Squid's little princess friend will look beautiful in her new sweater. That's a great thank you gift!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

I love those colors, too. But I find I don't buy them as often b/c they just aren't as exciting in a skein or on a website.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

That kettle dyed yarn is fabulous - perfect for a Princess who likes to live life to the fullest!
That black looks very blue - nice if you don't want something too dark.
Love those baby pants.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

The kettle dyed yarn is really pretty.

My husband wears a dickie. I don't think he would be making fun of your husband's panta.

3:42 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

the colors are interesting. that electric blue is really super!

1:41 AM  
Blogger Cactusneedles said...

Hey, did you have the baby yet?
It's been a while, so I'm assuming so. Hope all went well and everyone is happy and healthy.
Take care.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Austysmum said...

I absolutely LOVE your work and have been admiring your curly purly soakers for a long while now and wanting to make one for my son, but was unsure what ply to use. I now think I'll give it a shot as it looks like you use worsted weight (am I right?). I have the picky pants pattern so might even try a pair of longies with your perfect pleated waistband - so much more comfortable than elastic or drawstrings. The scarf looks fantastic - very manly! Now before I go, how could I NOT mention how adorable your new son is! Give him a big squeeze for me.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home