Friday, April 20, 2007

My One-Handed Life

These days, I need to find creative ways to do everything with one hand. The other always has a child draped across it, either nursing or sleeping. Heaven forbid I be allowed to put the sleeping child down for a moment. Oh my, no. So, I'm getting creative. I can cook myself lunch one-handed (pre-sliced salami eaten standing in front of the fridge while rocking a sleeping baby with one hand). I can shower (rinse my head in the sink with a hand-held sprayer while supporting a nursing child with one hand). I have not, however, figured out how to knit with one hand.


But I can crochet.

This is a blanket I am making using all of the odds and ends from my stash. I wish it weren't mostly blue. I feel so hackneyed making a blue baby blanket for a boy. But the fact of the matter is, I had more blue odds and ends than any other color. And I tried just using random balls of whatever but it looked better having some unifying color. This is my first real attempt at crochet. I thought I was doing a double crochet but it turns out it was a single crochet. Who knew.


Here's the Mole dozing on a blanket I knit way back when I had two hands available. The crochet blanket is one my grandmother made when I was a baby. She was quite a hooker, my grandma. Unfortunately she's not still around to mock my not-really-double-crochet. But I'm sure she'd be proud. See how I'm copying her ripple blanket design? She was big into the ripple blankets.

Oh, and please note the Mole is sporting a soaker I knit. I have to say it fits rather nicely. As do these pants.


Of course everywhere we go people can't resist saying "already wearing lots of yarn." True. But as the Squid is growing older and more opinionated I need someone to dress who won't argue with me. And now you know the real reason for having a second child.

P.S. this entire post was typed with one hand.

23 Comments:

Blogger Romi said...

He is absolutely beautiful! I remember those days! *sigh* The crocheted blanket is lovely, too. :)

12:30 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

The blanket is lovely! Mole is Soooooo cute and sweet. he looks so soft and cuddly. And I hear ya on the reason for a new babe. lol

1:09 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

What a sweet, sweet baby!

3:23 PM  
Blogger constructobot said...

Kudos on the crochet victory! But in the interest of making lunch with two hands, I can't help making a suggestion (though you may have considered and discarded the idea already): have you tried a baby sling? I was cheap and sewed myself one from the free pattern on maya wraps website- if the baby is willing, he would be magically next to you, and yet you could have two hands for... knitting? If it works, believe me, you can keep using it a looong time- I still use it for carrying my 14 month old.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

thanks!

constructobot - i'm bit of a sling/carrier addict... i have a whole bunch of them already! this guy has no interest in being in a carrier inside, though. we spend the better part of the day out walking because he loves being in a carrier or sling - but only outside! go figure.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

After reading the last comment, I am glad the weather will soon be cooperating.

I just want to smell him. So beautiful, friend. So beautiful.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

this is the sound of

one

hand













clapping!!!



for you, mama!

11:14 PM  
Blogger julia said...

so cute, and hooray for the crochet, it's looking good. i'll keep it short, i am commenting one-handed :)
julia
www.myblog.de/juju

4:46 AM  
Blogger aija said...

So precious!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is there anything more precious than a sleeping baby? It makes my ovaries hurt just looking at his peaceful face and little clenched fists.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

The Mole is so beautiful - he looks so snuggly and cozy in his darling knitted pants. He looks like a very happy little boy.
You can rinse your hair while nursing?! That is impressive.

8:59 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Ha! I am familiar with the one handed story! :)

What a beautiful baby! I love the "touch down" photo! :)

11:22 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

So funny that you write this post today! I was just talking with a friend last night about how the one thing I wish I knew before I had my first child was to stock up on things you can eat with just one hand! :)

4:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He is just gorgeous! It's inspiring to hear how you are finding ways to be creative even one-handed.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Wow did that bit about doing things one-handed bring back some memories! Even with the sling, I did a lot of stuff one-handed ... It gets so much easier, but they sure are sweet when they're that bity ...

7:38 PM  
Blogger Cactusneedles said...

I remember when mine were that small.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Your beautiful son looks so sweet in his handknits. The blue pants look adorable on him, and I am sure it is nice for boys to have blue. You never know, it might be his favourite color when he gets older. Good on you too for crocheting whilst holding the baby, I never learnt to knit whilst holding a baby either.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Bryce said...

he is gorgeous! congrats marnie! my second little guy was just like that - only tolerated the sling if we were outside walking...

2:50 AM  
Blogger Erin Joy said...

You've got a beautiful afghan and beautiful baby boy there, Marnie. I'm working on a crochet ripple afghan myself with *all* stash yarn (cough, cough ... yeah right!) myself. It's a nice change of pace and reminds me that I REALLY like knitting better. LOL :) Enjoy your babymoon!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

Long time lurker says:
What a beautiful baby, and a beautiful blankie!
The reason why you thought that was double crochet is because the British call that stitch Double Crochet! I think it's because you finish it when there are two loops on the hook... it makes a lot of sense!
For some reason, here in America we call that single... in Britain they call our slip stitch Single.
I am looking forward to reading your heroic delivery story... I'm intrigued!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Is all ok?

3:13 PM  
Blogger Woman who knits said...

IMpressive crochet!! He's beautiful!!!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home