Monday, August 27, 2007

My Blue Period

I tend to shy away from the color blue. Years of school uniforms with their powder blue peter pan collars and navy jumpers and kilts have put me off of it. Yet these days I find myself surrounded by blue.

The coffee shop (more about that later, I promise) is largely blue. I don't know why I was drawn to it - but it's all shades of blues and greens. Of course there's also the blue chenille. And now that I have a son, I've been wading through boxes of hand-me-down clothes - no one likes to throw away baby clothes, but we Manhattanites have no room to store anything so at the first possible occasion we dump our 37 thousand boxes of outgrown clothing onto the next victim. I literally have hand me downs from over a dozen people. And all of them are filled with baby blue. Lots and lots of baby blue.

And then something possessed me to do this:



I've covered my natural light red-brown with black, blue, and purple. Excuse the cell-phone photo cutting me off at the nose.

I'm actually a pretty conservative person. I have no idea what brought this on. I'm chalking it up to post-partum hormones and an utter lack of "me time". In any event, my biggest concern is the coming autumn and the sheer number of green and brown tweed yarns I have saved up to knit for myself. I was feeling all wild and planned to break out of my normal blacks and charcoals with shocking colors like chocolate brown and pine green. Now I'm going to have to re-color my hair to match my yarn.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

Yay! Thanks for the pic. I think I was most shocked at the black, actually! I thought, that's not her hair color!

I just went really blonde again, after my stylist went a little crazy with the foils. Not quite as platinum as before, but definitely quite blonde. All the better to cover the gray, my dear.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

smokin'

1:52 PM  
Blogger SagePixie said...

i likey

5:52 PM  
Blogger Knittergirl said...

I love your hair. Is it possible to color over dark hair w/o bleach being involved? My 6 year old daughter is constantly asking for blue hair and I've promised yes, as long as it doesn't involve bleach. Looking at you hair, now I want blue hair too!

kelley

11:57 PM  
Blogger kkkaya said...

Hurray for your hair! I've been secretly harboring wild hair color dreams lately, too...the mom in suburbia with three little'uns now...once upon a time we lived in Chelsea. I think it would be nice to shake up the leafy suburb a little. Thanks so much for your blog! Kellie

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home