Thursday, September 06, 2007

Back To School!

And not a moment too soon. I don't know who's been acting more like a petulant child lately, the Squid, or me. Whatever the case, she's been moaning and whining about going back and could hardly contain herself this morning. It's only a ha;f day today and I think she'll be miffed about that, so I'll be bringing the just-finished chenille bunny with me as a "happy back to school day" surprise. We'll see if she actually likes it or not.



I used Henry's Attic Pigtail Cotton. This is my first time not using wool for a toy. I was nervous about it but the fabric is actually very nice, though the ears do not stand up, even for a second. I did stuff with wool, because I couldn't handle the thought of sticking icky polyfill inside my labor of love. I did use acrylic eyes and an acrylic nose because I thought it might break the spell of "hand made" that the Squid seems to balk against. The first bear I made her had button eyes. She wasn't crazy about them, either, but she at least carried it around for a day or two. We'll see. I suspect she might complain about the lack of a mouth. I did embroider one on, but I still prefer the bunny without it.


The yarn makes a far softer fabric than it feels wound in a ball. I knit it tightly on 3.75mm needles, and it feels sturdy but not the least bit stiff. I can't get those ears to perk up to save my life. The tail is sufficiently squishy, and all in all I think it turned out pretty well, for a new yarn experiment.


Maybe I should have kept all of it to make a larger throw - We inherited a sofa bed from friends on the move to Canada (Coco, Sabrina and David - we miss you already!). The couch could use a spiffy throw tossed on it. Squid's been lying there every day since we got it suggesting that she might even take a nap! So a cozy something or other wouldn't be such a bad idea.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

For the bunny ears, try knitting a second ear right behind (or in front) of the first and sewing them together. It worked for my S&B Kittyville hat.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Woman who knits said...

He's perfect! I love his little tail!!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh I love the blue bunny, how cute.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home