Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The New Year

I've always liked the timing of my birthday, which was yesterday, by the way. As a kid (and now again as a parent) it's the start of a new school year. It's also when the weather starts to change. I hate the heat so I find myself with renewed energy in September - getting out more, walking more, enjoying my friends and my city. It's also, coincidentally, right around Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year which is not, somehow, at the beginning of the Hebrew Calendar. Kind of like my birthday.

Anyway, this new year, this birthday, and this second post-partum period of my life seems to be marked with a reclaiming of misspent youth. So I've dyed the blue bits of my hair fire engine red and bought myself some flowery Docs.

I have also taken the opportunity to take the Ladyslipper sweater out of hibernation. The yarn is Montana Targhee dyed in the "Ladyslipper" colorway by Mountain Colors. It's beautiful and earthy and satisfies the Squid's newfound love of pink and purple with my disinterest in all things gaudy and flashy. Boots and hair notwithstanding.

I'm knitting the neckline now, then all it needs is a button band and some buttons. It's the same EZ/Ann Budd/Me seamless yoke cardi I've been making for the past year, and I'm pleased with the shape and fit. Hoping it gets us through the winter... I've just discovered that all of the Squid's wool socks are too small. Damn. I hate making socks.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger tiennieknits said...

Happy belated birthday!

I think of Sept as the beginning of the year, rather than Jan. I love this time of year!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I stopped thinking that September was the beginning of the year for a few years these, once I quit teaching. Now I'm back to it.

Happy birthday!

5:49 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

happy birthday! hope it was great....
love the flowery docs.........i still wear my old brown ones from '91........can't beat them!!!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh Happy Birthday to another virgo. Mine was on the 10th. Love the flowery boots. The sweater looks lovely with all those pinks and purples.

7:19 PM  
Blogger the little knitter who could said...

Happy Birthday!! Love the flowery docs!

11:03 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Happy birthday! What an awesome pair of docs!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home