Monday, September 17, 2007

Sunday With My Little Squid

So the Squid says to me yesterday "Hey, mamma. Remember that time we went to the grocery store, just you and me?" When I tell you that the grocery store is next door, I mean next door, as in the bricks of my building touch the bricks of the grocery store. And that exciting trip to the store was probably 3 months ago, and it was to run and get milk. I felt immediate pangs of guilt that my Squid sees so little of me without the Mole attached.

I do try. We spend every afternoon together at the park, with friends, at the coffee shop, hanging out. The Mole lives in various baby carriers, just hanging in there while I try to shower attention on the Squid. But you know, after 4 years of spending so much time with her - I miss her. And she misses me, too. Ok. I get it.

So we strapped the Mole to papa for a walk to the computer store while the Squid and I went to the park. Where we had a fabulous time, swinging together, sitting on a bench and talking with no one squeaking, squawking, or latched onto various body parts. On our way home we stopped into the yarn store to pick up buttons for the Squid's cardi, nearly finished.

Yeah, this is what she chose for her beautiful, earthy, yet still purple and pink sweater. My Squid is an enigma.

And as I was paying, I felt this little curly head leaning on my thigh. I looked down and she was hugging a wildly expensive single skein of hand-dyed pink yarn. "I love this yarn," she said. "It's the best yarn ever. Can we buy it?" Wildly expensive. Single skein. No more left in the store. She rubbed her tender, little girl cheek on the yarn, and hugged me harder. "You could make me a biki. A little one." I told her it would have to be really tiny wee and she said "I don't care. I just want it to be this yarn." And then she got me. "I just want something you made for me that is pink and sparkly and soft from this yarn."

Sigh. I am such a sucker. So we walked out with a wildly expensive single skein of this pink and sparkly and soft yarn. "I'm Allergic to Wool" by Farmhouse Yarns. 85% Cotton. 15% Rayon. 150 Yards. Suggested needle, 11 US, 2 stitches to the inch.

What am I going to make with this? Cannot be a toy. Or scarf, hat, mittens, vest, pillow, or legwarmers. It cannot be mixed with another yarn. Which leaves??

Sigh. When we got home, and returned to our lives again, me nursing the baby, her playing at my feet, she looked at me and said "Mamma? I love you all the way up to Canada and all the way down to Brooklyn."

12 Comments:

Blogger NikkiJ said...

You could make a chunky halter and maybe have enough for a matching head band. I made Elizabeth Harding's Sloppy Joe and used the left over for a halter for my 3-yr old. We're going to wear it with a long sleeve t-shirt in the Fall and Winter.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Mama Lizard said...

What a heart warmer she is. She knows her mama and the fastest way straight to your heart strings. It's moments like those that make everything else in the world just fade away.

I'm glad you blog. I really miss(ed) your humorous takes on everyday life.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

What a wonderful story! I'm not sure what you could make, I have no clue when it comes to things little girls like :P I love the chunky halter idea, maybe there is a pattern out there for a little girls shrug she could layer over long sleeved shirts this fall.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a little heartbreaker! Your story brought a tear to my eye. I like bea's shrug idea. Maybe with 3/4 length sleeves?

4:03 PM  
Blogger Woman who knits said...

OMG!!! What a sweet story. I'm so glad you guys got some time together. I think I'll be dealing with that very soon once my newest arrives.

What a great day!!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I still think a hat. Or a drawstring bag for treasures.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

ooh, that's very sweet :) I'm glad you got to go to the park together, it was a lovely day for it here in my neck of the woods!

I like the little bag for treasures idea!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

a doily?
a biki for Baby?
wristbands?

I'm glad you and the Squid got some time together without your vacuum attachment of a Mole.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh my gosh marnie your squid and my AJ sound like peas in a pod. she'll make a great lawyer someday with those persuasive skills! ;)
i like the shrug idea, i can't wait to see what you turn her special yarn into!
Kat

12:18 AM  
Blogger Lola said...

Awww . . . that's just so sweet! i would suggest a hat. Treasure bag is also a good idea.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

What about one of those panda headbands, but I'm not too sure about the size of the needles or the yarn. Would you be able to knit a small bag out of it for her.

10:22 PM  
Blogger CraftyCarole said...

oh my.... how can you resist that? and to ask for yarn... doesn't get better. You're training her well ;-)

When I was very pregnant with our third child, DD had a meeting for her new preschool. I took her brother to daycare (near my work, 25 miles away) and she and I went to the meet the teacher. Then we went out for brunch after before heading back to pick up her brother. To this day (that was 3 years ago) whenever we pass the diner we ate at (it's the only time we've eaten there) she asks if I remember that day we had brunch, just she and I.... Kind of breaks my heart for her.

I'm so far behind reading..between work and life, well knitting/reading blogs has fallen to the wayside (insert loud sigh) If I was closer, I'd definitely be by for coffee daily....

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home