Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Nearly Finished


The Surprise Jacket is nearly complete. It actually fits the Mole pretty well. I am going to add a couple of rows to the sleeves to make them full length, and then it will join the Squid's Ladyslipper cardigan in the pile of things awaiting buttons.

I did have some traveling decreases at the beginning, but I think it's fine the way it is.

While waiting to finish the Surprise Jacket, I cast on A Cardigan for Arwen for myself, using that Rowan Wool Cotton. There is not a lot of shaping so it's easy enough to change gauge without even having to think much. the cable band in the front is going to be narrower, but not significantly, and I don't think it will take anything away from the sweater. I love the reversible cable.

This was in Interweave Knits a couple of issues back but didn't impress me because I generally prefer a more fitted sweater, and the open front seemed not so useful to me. But now, I'm still all post-partumy doughy with a big rack and bigger belly. I know I won't be built like this forever, so i don't want to knit something fitted in a bigger size. But I figure even if i make this nice and big I can still wear it when i am shaped smaller than I am now. I'm thinking that the DK yarn will keep it swingy and not simply huge.

The open front that seemed silly before seems practical now - I'll probably most often wear it open over a baby carrier or wrap strapped to my front (I get hot easily so I'll like a sweater I can wear over a carrier instead of something I will find myself trapped underneath).

And yes, I've already made a mistake in the cable pattern. And yes, I've already decided not to care.

6 Comments:

Blogger picperfic said...

the BSJ is gorgeous, I love the colour! We've all made those 'I don't care' mistakes in our patterns, ssshhh...no one will notice if you don't tell them!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Tana said...

Oh, pretty! I'm getting ready to start Arwen for myself, though I think I'm going to use 1824 wool and I'm contemplating adding shaping, though your expose on why it is a good choice for your current body is making me think twice - I still seem to have that bulge in the front after baby #2 (and he's set to turn 1 in a couple weeks - ach!).

Tana
www.tanapageler.com/life

8:21 AM  
Blogger Maryann said...

Beautiful works! I love especially the color of your Arwen, and your incredibly nice photoshot.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

There's something so nicely satisfying about the angles of the simple stitches in the Surprise Jacket. And I very much like the colour you've chosen.
Cheerfully
Karen
www.homefree.blogs.com

9:54 AM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

So beautiful!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

The BSJ looks so cute. I love the yarn you are using for Arwen too, and I have that on my to knit list one day. The color looks really nice too.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home