Friday, October 26, 2007

Yarnicorns

I think I mentioned that my Squid wants to be a unicorn for Halloween. And her friend has decided she wants to be whatever the Squid is going to be. Well, being my Squid, she insists that her costume be made out of yarn. And so I make two.

I bought a bag of "alpaca" boucle on ebay a couple of years ago. It cost next to nothing and was far too expensive for what it is. If there's any alpaca in it I'd be very surprised. It feels like shredded shopping bags. And I have 10 balls of it. So I started by coupling it with some rainbowy yarn from Mosaic Moon. Big tassels make lovely tails.

I made a gazillion smaller tassels from oddments + "alpaca." I'll be knitting bonnets from the white and attaching ears and these tassels to make manes. Not sure about the horn yet. I'm picturing a cone of paper painted with glue and wrapped with rainbow yarn in a spiral around the cone. Or maybe crochet. Not sure.

I'm also holding the "alpaca" doubled with some of the rainbow yarn and knitting wristbands and ankle bands. The rest of the costume consists of white unitards, so I thought the fuzzy, rainbowy echo at the wrists and ankles would be cool.

And here's what happens when you put a sleepy baby in a high chair to play with a block while you have a staff meeting at a coffee shop. He falls asleep in the middle of chewing on the block. Kind mothers take photos with cell phones before rescuing their children from naps in high chairs using blocks as pillows for their gums.

7 Comments:

Blogger tiennieknits said...

That is the sweetest picture ever!

12:53 PM  
Blogger natalie said...

That is such a sweet picture of your little one! Thanks for sharing it - and good luck with the Halloween costumes!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

proving once again that you are not only brilliant but also hilarious.

xoxoxxo

3:05 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

My son used to fall asleep like that too!

And if I were to invent unicorn yarn, it would have been that! Can't wait to see the final product.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

How adorable is that photo. I cant wait to see the final result of the costume too. They sound great.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Those costumes are going to be so sweet - but not as sweet as your baby resting his gums on his block!

Adorable.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Süßstoff said...

What a very seweet picture!

Also: I'm so very glad I found your blog through Ravelry. You make the cutest things!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home