Monday, November 05, 2007

"hooray" and "poncho" in the same sentence

When the Squid was wee, I made her a poncho. I was tired of the fighting to get the arms in the sleeves, the buttons all buttoned, the taking in and out of the stroller or baby carrier to dress and undress her as the temperature changed - the poncho seemed perfect. Fashion be damned. It worked well, so I wrote to my dear friend Martha and asked her if a poncho was a girl thing or a boy thing. I thought Martha's son The Professor might benefit from one, and I knew Martha to be sensible about the whole boy/girl clothing thing. Not all scared that putting a pink diaper on her son might make him gay, but not putting him in a lace pinafore to be mocked by the masses, either.

Anyway. I said "Would you consider putting a poncho on your son?" and she replied "Theoretically, yes, though it instantly brings German tourist child to mind. Personally, I don't think so. Someone a bit crunchier might."

So I replied "if you had said "hooray! finally a poncho by son can wear!" i may have put forth some effort."

Her answer? "Hmmm. I actually wouldn't use "hooray" and "poncho" in the same sentence."
Bah. I have to say that those words echoed in my mind last winter when my husband suggested that the Squid needed a poncho for the back of the bike. And I resisted. But this year I caved. And despite the Squid's pout, she likes it, too. Immediately after I took the pouty photo, I took this one:

That's my girl saying "Gotcha!" You can see the whole gamut of facial expressions on flickr.

Oh, and the white ribbons? Don't ask me. My child has never worn a ribbon. My child has never shown interest in a ribbon. But for whatever reason this morning she insisted that she wanted 2 pigtails, 2 ribbons, and 4 clips. I tried using yarn but she found this huge satin ribbon from a present and demanded I use it.

12 Comments:

Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

The Squid is going to be so cozy on the back of the bike. And so fashionable. :-)

I love her ribbons - the pout picture is adorable (which isn't something you would think describes pouting ordinarily).

11:14 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

you know, that's awfully cute.
I *might* consider a small "yay" in the same sentence with that poncho.

And I really like the neckline and the detail down the front.

The ribbons crack.me.up. Isn't there a picture of you with ribbons somewhere?

11:23 AM  
Blogger Cactusneedles said...

I love the poncho! My LittleOne wears the one I made her two years ago! They're great!

11:28 AM  
Blogger RiverCitySTL said...

Well, I have to say it...
What a cutie patootie! Now isn't that phrase much worse than yay and poncho?

Both are adorable!

11:57 AM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

What a sweet sweet face!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Briley said...

I thik people who don't like ponchos have repressed memories of harvest gold, avacodo green, and burnt orange scrathcy acrylic nightmares from the 70's. The squid looks quite smart! and I agree with Scarlet about the pout picture.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I was really thrown off with those ribbons for a minute, but now I get it. PS -- I think ponchos are cute on little girls. And they love them. On grown up women, not so much.

6:09 PM  
Blogger picperfic said...

well I think she looks adorable in her poncho and so cheeky and cute with those silky satin ribbons in her hair! The whole post was great to read!

2:26 AM  
Blogger Ilix said...

super cute!!!
I love the unicorn costume too!!
Way to go! I would have loved to have been a unicorn when I was little like your Squid!

11:52 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

The poncho looks wonderful and so bright and colorful too. I remember 35 years ago when my mum bought me a poncho to wear when it got cold during the afternoon. I think they are great to wear, and my daughter has one too.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Oh How CUTE !!!!
And the poncho is nice too.. :)

7:38 PM  
Blogger CraftyCarole said...

I adore the poncho.... and I'd put yay and poncho in the same sentence... like if I ever finished my sleeping one, for sure!

I made DD one 2 years ago and she could still wear it IF i could convince her. breaks my heart

oh and the squid... she just makes it all the more beautiful!

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home