Tuesday, November 13, 2007

School Weekend Knitting

Last weekend was another lecture weekend for us first year students in the NY School of Homeopathy. Which means I broadened my knowledge of the medical art, more deeply explored my thoughts and ideas about illness and cure, spent alone, adult time with no small people climbing on me, sucking on me, puking on me, or wiping their maple-syrupy fingers all over me. And I got to knit a whole bunch, too.

Brigitta. I did a lot of playing around with size, but decided to follow the numbers for the size small arm scye and sleeve cap. I am glad I did. It's tough to take a photo of black yarn on a cloudy day, and it's equally tough to use words to describe how well this sleeve is constructed. I have to say it's been a long time since I've knit a set-in sleeve, because I hate designing them and have rarely found one in a commercial pattern that fits just right. This one definitely does.

The sweater itself doesn't look particularly great on me, but that's my post-partum body, not the sweater. It would look adorable on someone who is built differently - either slender or roly-poly. I'm neither at the moment, I'm lumpy, and while this sweater masks the lumps somewhat, some lumps just won't be masked.

I don't have a finished photo yet because I need to pick up the provisional cast-on for the sleeves and put on the cuffs. I couldn't do that in class because it requires more trying on and measuring than I'm comfortable doing in a casual class of 20.

So on Sunday, I cast on a sweater for the Mole.

It's various natural shades of Treliske Organic Merino from New Zealand. Part of my ongoing use-up-the-old-stash experiment (still have not purchased yarn this year, can you believe it? and I have TWO sweaters on the needles for myself. whoops.) I wish these photos could show how beautifully squishy and soft this yarn is. In my opinion, there is nothing finer. I love this yarn. It may be my favorite yarn of all time. t does pill and felt rather severely, so who knows what i'll look like by the time the Mole finishes rolling all over the wool rugs while wearing it, but I don't care. It's soft and lovely and uses up 3 partial skeins of yarn. And he needs sweaters.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

How fascinating to study homeopathy. My Aunt uses homeopathic remedies and shares what she knows with us - Nux Vomica helped me through a rather anxious youth!

The Mole's sweater is working up beautifully.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh that would be so interesting to study. I wish I had so I could deal with the stress and anxiousness in our household. I love the mole's sweater too, the colors look wonderful together.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Cybèle said...

Love the colour combination on the Mole's sweater - be sure to post a photo when you're finished. It looks really snuggly.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Love it Love it Love it !!!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home