Thursday, November 01, 2007

We Survived Halloween

Of course the unicorn costume turned out pretty much like every toy I make for her. She refused to wear it. I did get these three fast photos with my cell phone, so excuse the quality. There she is playing in the coffee shop with the Mole, who also refused to wear his costume.

There were wristbands and legwarmers which she flat out refused to put on. She did wear the hat for a bit, but then took it off. When someone asked her where her costume was, she said "I'm wearing a costume, look!" and plucked at her white unitard. Last year she took her costume off and told people "I don't need a costume, I'm jut me!"


She sure did love going into all of the stores on Avenue A saying "Trick or Treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat! If you don't, I don't care - I'll pull down your underwear!"

She always took extras and came running back out to the sidewalk to dole them out to her friends when they were too scared by the various masks and decorations to go into certain stores. And if she herself was frightened, she'd mutter, "it's only a costume. There's a person in there. I'm going to go touch it!" and she would. then she'd clench her teeth, pretend to shudder, and say "sceeeeery!" while dancing around in a little circle. All in all, I'm proud of my girl. And not just because she gave me half of her candy.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

That is a fabulous costume! Her self-talk with the scarey costumes is wonderful ...

12:13 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

What a wonderful unicorn! I love the costume.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh my, now I feel a little bad. Yesterday my son came home and was practicing his trick or treat lines and added the underwear part. I had never heard it and accused him of making it up. Oops.

I'm glad you got at least a few pictures.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Despite the Squid's usual refusals, your costume is just wonderful. Some day, she'll really appreciate it. Really.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Briley said...

the costume is amazing! I didn't have a costume nearly that cool growing up ( or as an adult, until I finally learned to sew)!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

That's pretty great, I'd have loved to be such a great unicorn. And I can totally relate to the sleeping on the block thing.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

In this world of cheap costumes at the unnamed drugstore, it's so refreshing to see a unique costume! I agree, years from now she'll appreciate all you did.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Too bad about the anti-costume reaction (I have been there) because it is an awesome costume! I would wear it myself if I needed one. I usually settle for one of my vast collection of holiday theme t-shirts. The one that is black with a glow in the dark x-ray of the Simpsons sitting on their couch is my favorite, although the Charlie Brown one is also fun.

Maybe next year she will step up to the plate and wear what she asked you to make.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home