Friday, December 07, 2007

Urban Urchin

I designed this hat 2 winters ago. I was looking for something that wasn't snug, but stayed on. Something that wasn't froo-froo, but wasn't plain, either. I had been making myself some mistake rib scarves - I can't stand when scarves are all bulky under coats. So I was making skinny scarves just long enough to wrap around my neck twice and tie. When I'm inside, i unwrap it a little so it goes around my neck one time - but it's not thick so it doesn't make me hot, and it doesn't dangle too long and get in the way. So I decided to make a matching hat. The first version - the one I still wear every day in winter - you can see in my little photo of me over there in the corner.

This pattern is in the 2008 Stitch N Bitch calendar, but I've finally gotten it laid out and ready for you to buy if you don't want to buy the whole calendar. I haven't seen it yet, but I've seen some of the other designs on Ravelry, and it looks like a great collection - I hope mine arrives soon!

The red version pictured here? Stolen by the Squid. Though sometimes even the infant Mole wears the hat. I love mistake rib.

(and the Knitty pattern of the similar name? yeah, I know. But I submitted this to the Calendar in autumn of 2006 so it's a little late to change the name now! hats *do* resemble sea urchins. what can I say?)

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamelamama said...

I couldn't resist, though I should really buy the calendar. The layout is beautiful. xo

11:16 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Congratulations on the publication!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I am pretty sure I have the calendar so I will have to look through it and find your wonderful hat pattern. The color looks so nice too.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Prue said...

I really like the pattern - have ever since I saw the one on your head in your ID photo.

5:56 PM  
Blogger SagePixie said...

Congrats on the calendar!

I hope I get one for Christmas;-)

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home