Thursday, January 31, 2008

Razor Shell Turtleneck


So I've been wanting a neck warmer. I had something pretty specific in mind. I really liked the stitch pattern in the Razor Shell Neckwarmer from Knitology but I really wanted something nice and tight. Something I could pull up over my chin, because the very tip of my chin is always the coldest part of me outside. I also wanted it to flare out over so slightly at the bottom of the neck, to cover the opening of a crew-necked tshirt. So I started with the stitch pattern and just made up the rest.

The yarn is "Ballet" by Fiesta Yarns (one of the yarns I bought with my gift certificate, thanks, Eej!). It's a blend of Alpaca and Tencel and has delightful drape. It's also nice and soft, and not the tiniest bit itchy - a must in neck warmer yarn. I'm wearing it now to keep my sore throat nice and cozy. I'll let you know how it keeps its shape.

So: modifications. Start with the Razor Shell stitch pattern. CO 84 stitches. I did not do the 4 rows of stockinette the original pattern specifies, but jumped right into the stitch pattern. After 5 inches I did all of the YO increases, but none of the decreases for one row. I did a few more rows in pattern, then one row of YO, k2tog around, then a simple bind off.

It's simple as pie, but oh-so-beautiful. And the fanciest thing I own (I'm a super plain-jane type). And it happens to match my hair color.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nettie said...

That is a kick ass photo! Those colors are to die for.

I think I may make another using your mods I like the slight flare very much.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Beautiful!

2:19 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love it--I was just fondling that very yarn in a store and couldn't think if what to make with it!!

2:59 PM  
Blogger soknitpicky said...

Very nice! It shows off the yarn nicely

4:49 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

So very pretty!

2:20 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

great job! love the entire look of it. pattern and yarn.

2:25 AM  
Blogger laprof said...

Beee-yoo-teee-fuhl! Glad you could put the yarnmarket thingy to use!

I love that neck warmer!

You are so clever, my bonny sister.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

It matches your hair! I love it.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

It is beautiful. That is perfect to be able to pull it up over your chin.

Much easier than pulling it over the tip of your nose - which is always the coldest part of me when I'm outdoors.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home