Monday, January 21, 2008

Survival


So, it's a horrible cell phone photo but I wanted to show this scarf. I made it from Henry's Attic Andromeda (silk/merino) and my simple dropped yarnover pattern. I really liked the pattern when I first made it years ago, and then every time since I've thought about making one I felt it was a little cheesy and unexciting. But with this yarn it really turned out beautifully and I like it all over again. I made this scarf during a weekend of homeopathy classes and wrapped it up to give to my teacher as a new year's present. I need all the help I can get since I haven't done a single assignment all year. My midterms are next week. Should be interesting.

I also made myself these socks in class. This yarn is some (non-superwash) Merino I bought years ago in Milan. I dyed it in my one and only dyeing experiment using acid dyes. I made a single sock about 4 years ago, hated it, and never made the other. So I frogged evil first sock ever and made 2 new ones.

Added a cable up the back to alleviate the boredom.

I then continued my mitten extravaganza by making these for my friend Martha who was visiting. See the blue Ikea bag in the background? It's a sign of things yet to come. I'll get to that part later.

In the meantime, The Mole learned how to play peekaboo. He lives for peekaboo. Epecially when played with a bowl of Pirate Booty.







Then things went to hell. Remember the blue Ikea bag? We brought back more than just some wooden bowls and a string of star-shaped lights on clearance. My little Squid brought back a nasty case of Scarlet Fever which she picked up in the ball pen. Never, ever ever again.

I was trying to figure out which was the worst part of the Scarlet Fever. The fact that she came down with it the day my husband left for a week in Europe? So she was sick, out of school, and I had no co-parent? Or the fact that she and the Mole perfected their synchronized of waking up and wailing "mamma!" in the middle of the night while sleeping in separate bedrooms, so I needed to constantly choose which kid to leave screaming for me while I cared for the other.

But eventually with the help of some antibiotics which made the Squid a Squid-on-Speed, the Scarlet Fever passed. The Squid went back to school. For one day. because the next day she woke with a rash. I gave her benadryl immediately upon seeing the rash, by the doctor's orders. Guess what? she's allergic to that, too. A reaction to the antibiotics and then to the Benadryl has lasted longer than the Scarlet Fever they were treating and led us down the road to anaphylaxis, and, thankfully, back again. Hideous doesn't describe it. Nothing can tell of the fear that coldy gripped my heart as i sat next to my girl's bed watching her chest rise and fall - waiting for it to stop. Willing it not to. Nothing can come close to the look on her face or the sound in her voice as she screamed "IT ITCHES!" at 3 am. And it's still not really gone. Not yet.

Maybe the worst part is that I wore a hole in the bottoms of both of my brand-new green socks within a week of completing them. I just never took them off and shuffled from kid to kid on wool carpets for a week. When I finally took them off (and showered) I noticed the holes. boo. I patched them with some leftover yarn from the Donnie Osmond socks. There's enough Nylon in that yarn to hold anything together.

Here she is today, the Divine Miss M, playing with her baby brother. She just looks sunburned now. That will go away eventually.

Shall we talk about knitting again and banish evil thoughts of sick kids from our hearts? Check out the Mole's sweater. I finally finished it. I had intended to make the sleeves really long so he could wear it for a long time. But really I just ended up making the body too short.

I really need to go back and add a few inches but I just can't bear the thought of more stripes. And yes, he's rummaging through my yarn stash.

23 Comments:

Blogger Tana said...

Sounds like you've been to hell and back. At least you're back now. And the socks are mended. Wow!

Tana
www.life.tanapageler.com

4:09 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

Yuck. Glad she is on the mend. Sounds like a craptastic week.

I wear holes in all my non-nylon socks. Wahhh... I have so many that need to be mended and it makes me sad. That sweater is very cute, you could add a wide stripe in one color so only 2 more ends to weave?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Oh my goodness--I've been there though not with Scarlet Fever and I'm very happy for you and Squid that she's mending. To think my husband and I just got back from Ikea a couple of hours ago and were talking about how great it is that our son is now old enough to go in the play room! NOT!! Thanks for posting!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Emily/Knit Addictions said...

I thought Scarlet Fever was a thing of the past! I had no idea you could still get it. Those play room things seem to be rooms of doom. Glad to hear everthing worked out though.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

glad to see everyone is healing and you still have your sense of humor.

wish you were here!

8:13 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

Glad everyone is feeling better! Beautiful photos - even the cellphone one!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yikes! I'm glad the worst is over -- and your knits are wonderful! Good job with the sickness parenting!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Elfinwear said...

Wow ..seems like everything that could go bad, did! Glad things are sorting out for you and the family. Ball pens are icky icky places, there isn't enough Lysol in the world to de-gross those things. Glad my kids never found them interesting.

As always ..I am jealous of your mad skills. Your mittens rock.

Fae

8:47 AM  
Blogger sweetfigs said...

Scarlet Fever? I thought that was only in the history books. You're a trooper, keeping the sick babies soothed while your husband is away. At least that week is over. :)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Oh my. How incredibly frightening! I thought Scarlet Fever was something Laura Ingalls would get on the Prairie, not Squids in Manhattan. I'm so relieved to hear she is on the mend.

3:01 PM  
Blogger laprof said...

I can't believe the sickness of Maya! I'm so glad she'd better. I love your blog. I love to see pictures of my little niece and nephew type chicka-dees!

I hope you are hanging in there.

I love my slippers! I wear them all of the time!

Love you!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Thank goodness your daughter is all better. I really felt for you reading your post, and holes in your socks too, you must have done a lot of pacing. The sweater looks so cute, perhaps you could just knit a ribbed bottom so you wouldnt have to do stripes.

4:34 PM  
Blogger SpiderWomanKnits said...

Oh, how awful! I feel so badly for your little Squid (and for you) :-(

We were just in Ikea (Elizabeth) and decided not to check our little guy into the ball room. We usually do since we travel down from VT and have a lot of decisions to make but I'm glad we didn't and never will again after hearing your story.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Knitzee Lyn said...

May I ask you what kind of camera you use? I just love the quality of the photos.

6:57 PM  
Blogger SagePixie said...

OMG! I so happy to hear everyone is fine now.

I was just popping over to say look at The Purl Bee blog they have info on getting martha stewart show tickets, a special knitting episode :-)

Lots of love to you and yours.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Oh my god! That's terrible. I am so relieved for you. Dreadful to have to be the only adult at that time.

I had Scarlet Fever in Gr.5 along with Chicken Pox - and I remember having to go to Children's where the Dr.s considered SF an anomaly. Yipes. Looks like it is back.

Those ballpens are so much worse than other play areas. They are really hard to clean - and rarely cleaned. Kids of course, love them.

The sweater is adorable! Glad you could fix your socks too.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, what a roller coaster ride. I'm glad to hear the squid is better. And the scarf is very pretty - I felt the same way about drop stitch until I made one for a friend using a yummy cotton/silk yarn.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hugs, I'm glad to hear things are starting to get better. I miss you!

4:06 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

Hiya! I've left you a little something on my blog. :)

3:28 AM  
Blogger JenniferB said...

Aye. Kids really put us through the wringer, don't they? I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing better. It's the worst to have your spouse traveling when the kids get sick--I know that one well.

8:21 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Scarlet Fever, hells bells! My ex-husband had that once on a trip to Morocco, I really feel for you!

4:13 PM  
Blogger TracyKM said...

You've had a rough time! My older daughter had Scarlet Fever last Christmas (2006). So many people asked "Don't they get a shot for that?" or "I thought that was no longer around". Even the first doctor didn't diagnose it. It wasn't till we went back to the ER a second time (because she suddenly had a rash which might have been a reaction to the meds, or it could have been something else--which it was--and the family doc. wasn't in) and got a different doc who had JUST seen someone else with the same things. (But how can you put the blame on just the ball pit? It spreads quite easily.) It was a rough couple weeks from first onset to recovery! And we've just gotten through C.P. which was SO much easier!

12:52 PM  
Blogger waldorfmama said...

okay, so i don't know if you'll get this comment (since you made this entry back in january!), but i'm giving it a shot anyway. :) i found this post because i did a search on 'henry's attic andromeda silk merino'. i love this yarn, but can only find it in 'natural white'. soooo, tell me - how/where did you get it in this lovely ROSY PINK color (that you used to make your scarf)?? i simply adore this color (and your scarf, of course)! i look forward to hopefully hearing from you - thanks!

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home