Monday, March 10, 2008

Miters are cool


So I got this idea. Whenever I'm between projects and spinning my wheels about what to do next (which is when i usually cast on 15 things I don't really want to make) I'm going to start using up my scraps to make miters. Then I will put them together (no, really!) for a blanket for my bed. So far, so good.


I particularly like the cashmere ones!

Oh, another thing I knit. Sigh. I'm really sad about it, and it's ABSOLUTELY my fault. I've been admiring the lines of Tahoe for a year. I finally decided to make it. But I made some changes, and nearly all of them turned out to be bad ideas. Cumulatively, they make the sweater unwearable.


Looks ok, right? The yarn is pretty. It's single ply merino from Mosaic Moon.

Anyway. Yeah, that was one. I used a worsted merino. So the lines of the sweater no longer draped so much as seemed, well, big. And I knit it at a larger gauge than usual hoping to maintain that drape, but instead I made it so this single ply merino, already prone to pilling, pills like it's winning a speed pilling contest or something. by the time I was seaming I could already tell which sleeve I'd knit first.

Which is another modification I made. I ditched the bell sleeves and went for tapered. I like the sleeves a lot, actually. It was a good choice, because with the extra thickness of the yarn, the drape of the bell would have been unbearable. As it was, I had to slice the sweater in half across the middle and reknit the bottom downwards to omit some of the shaping to make it narrower at the bottom. I did this three times. And it's still not long enough.

And in case you didn't notice i made it a pullover instead of a cardigan (like) and I raised the V a little (do not like).

In the end, the only things I kept of the pattern, really, are the armscyes and the sleeve caps. Which are really, really great and fit very well. I think I will reknit the sweater, saving the sleeves, and going from there.

I'll leave you with the Divine Miss M eating a Ginger-O, the best cookies on the planet.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tana said...

So sorry to hear about the demise of your sweater. But I love in-between projects like that. I've threatened to do a miter blanket with sock yarn - just a baby blanket. Usually, though, my in-between project is dish cloths or potholders using peaches & cream yarn. I buy it by the cone, and I love using them in the kitchen. My family raves about the potholders (Zimmerman, Double Knit). It makes for a nice break.

Tana
www.life.tanapageler.com

2:39 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

My favorite thing about the picture is the shells on the floor. It looks like my floor!

5:31 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Your mitred squares are the first ones I've seen that actually make me want to make them! And I am with you on the Ginger cookies, they're lovely as my grandmother would have said...

9:42 AM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

Your work is always lovely, your children are beautiful and so is your photography. Makes me happy to visit your blog every time!

1:16 PM  
Blogger laprof said...

I love the miters! Great idea! Sorry about the sweater. I hope you are having fun at school today. It's snowing here. Eesh. Thanks for the pics of my adorable niece and nephew. I printed some out and framed them. I like to have updated photos. They are amazing, as are you, my sweet.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home