Monday, March 24, 2008

Sunday in the Park with Friends


Making great progress on the Surprise Jacket. This is the end of one skein of yarn, plus 2 stripes of a matching near-solid. I have assembled the jacket "inside out" for this photo, because I am trying to decide which side I like best. the "right side" can be seen in the back of the jacket - the stripes of the near-solid are clearly delineated. The "wrong side" is shown on the sleeves and front, in the garter stitch it makes a more gentle transition from the variegated to the near-solid. I'm leaning towards that, but I'm not sure. Luckily I have all the time in the world to decide. What do you think?

Ok. Thus endeth the knitting content. Following is a mess of photos from our day in Bryant Park with friends. Just warning you.

The Divine Miss M was beside herself with glee at the prospect of going to Bryant Park. We've been there a bunch with tourist-friends, but never Just Because, and she thought that was an amazing prospect. She breathlessly begged to ride the carousel, then proceeded to slowly and deliberately spin in circles while marching up and down, in her imitation of a carousel pony.



The Mole was less than impressed by the carousel and preferred to sit back and chomp down some Veggie Booty while watching his crazy sister and her crazy friends ride around and around. The Divine One showed a moment of barely-bridled glee as the carousel started up.



To be perfectly honest, she actually spent more time laughing with her friend as they hid from the camera every time they passed me. Those two join forces to become a menace to society. Or at least a menace to me. I fear the teenage years. The girls have been friends since they were less than a year old. And it shows.



Liv's mom, Rosie, is the world's finest children's movement teacher. Seriously. Here she proudly sports a bonnet her kid made for her.



Also joining us for some carousel fun was our friend Issa. Issa has what may be the most beautiful singing voice of all time. On top of that, she happens to be one of the most gentle people I think I have ever met. And, she's got this very cool idea when it comes to selling her music: self-determined pricing, to "ensure that money (or lack of it) never comes between the artist and someone who might be lifted by their offering." I find that to be pretty amazing, and I would love to follow in her footsteps. I'll be working on converting my pattern sales to follow this model as soon as I have a minute to sit down and update the store.



In the meantime, you should definitely go to Issa's store where you can buy her music, become a patron and support her as she records new music, and buy songs from some similarly minded artists (as well as songs Issa recorded under her former name, Jane Siberry).

The kids (including Issa's incredibly cool, confident, and kind niece who was here visiting from Canada) then played that old heart-stopper hide and seek.



This is where my urban parenting gets challenged. I want the kids to run and feel free to be and play however they want to, but HIDE? and SEEK? in Bryant Park? gulp. Luckily we had plenty of adults and we all just took a kid and kept our eyes glued to the kid. And luckily for the kids, they didn't catch on that if they just looked where the adults were looking they'd find their hiding friends.

The Mole didn't quite get the whole "hiding" part but sure did love flinging himself all over the ground like the big kids.



Oh hey, see those pants? Despite their current filth-covered state, those pants are in pristine condition. I made them for Miss Squid almost 4 years ago. I had to peel them off of her this year to pass them on. Last year she wore them with legwarmers to cover her ankles. She loved those pants. And you would never know it looking at them. They are in perfect condition. not a pill, worn spot, or sag. I made them from Peace Fleece and looking at them now, I don't think I will never buy a different yarn for kids' clothing. It gets so soft (picky Squid girl wears them as PANTS, fergodnesssakes) and looks great with zero maintenance.

See? I managed to end on a knitting note after all.

12 Comments:

Blogger laprof said...

Oh lordy, those are the cutest pictures ever! I can't wait to see you all! And nice job transitioning into knitting at the end. That was a masterful segue.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Tania A said...

Adorable pictures. I have to side with your Divine one, carosels are the bomb. Anytime I go somewhwre that has one I unabashedly ride, much to my husband's great amusement.

3:20 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

How fun and sweet! Love the 1st knit pic too!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

I like the wrong side on the jacket, and I'll take one Mole to go, please.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Sereknitty said...

I like the 'wrong' side ... fabulous colours ... tres cute kids!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

I can't believe you're friends with the artist formerly known as Jane Siberry! I love her music! I used to listen to her when I lived in NY and listend to my favorite radio station that, sadly, has no equal in WA. Imagine that!

everything reminds me of my dog!

Kids are adorable. Smooch.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

What a day! I love the confidence with which Rosie rocks her kid's bonnet. Plus, Issa in a turban? Amazing.

9:38 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

What a fantastic day at the park! And am I a moron that I can't tell the difference between the two sides of your BSJ? I love them both!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

peace fleece, huh. Who would have thought...

2:08 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Love the pics--I miss Bryant park. I like your technique of keeping adult eyes glued per child, lets the kids play without the parents having a heart attack. I've been looking at Peace Fleece-I'll have to give it a try.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Luanda said...

what a great post! I totally love your narrative on the kids and their activities! By the way I like the "wrong side" of the bsj. Just my 2 cents.
Luanda

8:07 AM  
Blogger jademond said...

the teacher looks like mary poppins when she was riding the carousel horses.

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home