Thursday, July 13, 2006

Long time, no post

Wow. it's been a mighty long time. The Squid was on a school vacation so my typing time has been rather limited. Let's see.

I saw Liz, remember her? My friend from a billion years ago in highschool who it turns out was doing the Green Gable knitalong at the same time I was? Anyway, it was pretty amazing. Like i was 15 again, but not. It was easy and fun and I'd like to do it again, soon.

Then what happened? oh, yeah, I took the squid swimming.



I'm pretty sure she enjoyed herself, despite the fact that her legs were clamped so tightly around my waist that it took a couple of days for me to be able to breathe properly. She clung on for dear life and giggled maniacally. A good time was had by all.

Then what?

Oh, I knitted some stuff. Most notably, I knitted this hat.



This is a hat for Matt, a teenaged nephew of a friend of mine. He's got leukemia and is going through some pretty nasty chemo at the moment. I designed the hat to give good coverage, but not be binding. I also didn't want it to look like the poor kid was wearing a winter hat in the middle of July. I used Plymouth's Royal Bamboo, and it's so crazy soft. I'm hoping it doesn't irritate his head.

So what's that white stuff?

Get this. His favorite song is "Help", by the Beatles. Yeah, seriously. Go ahead. Sing a few bars to yourself. Mmm hmm. That, my friends, is the favorite song of a teenager with cancer.

Anyway, his aunt wanted something kind of different, something that was "him," something special. So I did a kind of quirky rusticky tribally version of the "Help!" album cover. One thing I will say. That bamboo is about 40,000 strands of slipperiness. Not fun embroidery floss. Next time I'll know better.

So I made a little patch on the inside of the hat, to cover up all the loose ends from the embroidery. Matt's aunt wanted me to put a special message on the inside of his hat for him. So I did just as she asked.



Go, Matt! We're all pulling for you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

That is AWESOME!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Tania A said...

That hat is just the shiz-knit!

Yes, that was bad. Sorry. I had to. But the hat really is awesome.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

What a great hat! Hope he beats cancer hard.

3:09 PM  
Blogger aija said...

I love your hat!! Great job, in and out :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

that hat is so very amazing that I had to tell you so.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home