Thursday, November 09, 2006

Eureka!

Ladies and gentlemen, hold on to your hats. I've found it. Well, actually she found it. The toy my child will actually ENJOY! First, we started with a trip to Downtown Yarns where the exceptional Rita helped us find everything in the store that the Squid deemed "soft." Finally, Miss Squid settled on Muench's Touch Me, a rayon/wool blend chenille that is, indeed, crazy soft.

Then we spent a month or so at home with Miss Squid carrying the ball of yarn around not letting me knit it. Then one day she came to me, yarn in hand, and said "Can you make something from this for me? I know you can. You're a knittingerly superhero."

We discussed what she'd like me to make, and she settled on an octopus.



And I made it. And fearfully gave it to her (remember The Elephant?). Her response? "Oh, I was dreaming of this!!" She loves it. She ran right away and put it in her bed (bed toys are a rare and special breed of toys).

And guess what? over a week has passed and she STILL likes it!

phew.

In other kid news the Professor continues to heal. He's feeding himself and talking a bit, and the post-operative seizures and hallucinations are falling slowly under control. We're not breathing easy yet, but we are breathing. Thanks for keeping him in your thoughts.

Auctions for Nat continue, and include this amazing find:



I went to see the amazing Annie Modesitt at a book signing, and she offered a signed copy of her new book all about knitting and crocheting jewelry with wire. She also gave me one of the pieces she made for the book! I'm overwhelmed by the outpouring of generosity for the Professor. Knitters rock.

So visit the auctions and check out Annie's stuff. Some beautiful hand-dyed yarns for $1 raffles, too.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I appreciate it more than you can know.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the octopus. I checked out the red elephant - where is the pattern from? (I love elephants, and want to make one for my soon-to-be son) Please let me know!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Though the Squid can be hard to please, her delight is endearing and joyfully uninhibited. A superhero! See, she knew you could do it!

Thanks for continuing the updates on Nat. He has been in my prayers.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

"You're a knittingerly superhero." OMword... So cute!! And she was dreaming of it... she is adorable!!!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

THe octopus is adorable and I can almost feel its softness. I love the Touch Me in principle (never tried knitting it yet). For example, that touch me scarf in scarf style is so gorgeous looking! Congrats on knitting something your kid enjoys!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Tania A said...

Love love LOVE the octopus. That's one pattern I can't wait to see :)

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home