Thursday, March 01, 2007

Still here. Still knitting Still whining.

I loathe being pregnant. I find no charm in it. I am tired of being poked and beaten from the inside. I am tired of my stretched and worn muscles being pushed yet another inch. I feel like I'm being drawn and quartered.

And then I remember that I'm healthy. The baby is healthy. This is temporary. And I try to buck up and eek out a smile. Junk food helps, a lot. I have recently discovered peanut butter double stuff Oreos. I hide them from my child.

Anyway. I am still knitting. Baby things, of course. They don't take a lot of time. And I don't have a lot of concentration.


Soakers. Knitted wool diaper covers. An excellent stashbuster. I've made 4 newborn sized soakers, 2 small sized soakers, and one medium. I'm wavering back and forth on the sizes. The Squid was a tiny 6 pounder and wore preemie-sized clothing for 2 months. So I hesitate to not have enough newborn sizes. But I have this enormous fear of giving birth to a huge 14 pound baby (all of the junk food), so I'm afraid to spend too much time knitting things that will either never fit, or fit for a day.

Yarns pictured and needle sizes used (clockwise from top):

- Little Turtle Knits farm yarn, dyed in "Midnight Ride" (grey/maroon) 3,5,8.
- Wooly Wonders by Nada Bluefaced Leicester, aran weight, dyed in unnamed colorway (yellow, sage, blue, red)3,5,7.
- Mosaic Moon 2 ply Targhee, dyed in blue and green - 5,7,9.
- Full Belly Farm organic wool dyed in blue, purple, and brown by Mosaic Moon. Waist and cuffs in New Zealand Merino also dyed by Mosaic Moon 3,5,7.
- Uruguayan Merino dyed in black, red, blue, and yellow by Mosaic Moon (this one is going to stretch beyond reason but it's soft so I made it anyway, for the early days. It's not like a newborn is going to crawl out of it) 3,5,8.
- Mosaic Moon NZ Merino kettle dyed blue (same as the waist of the FBF soaker) 3,5,7.
- Organic Bluefaced Leicester with NZ merino trim dyed by Mosaic Moon- 3, 5,8.

Yes, I went against my own pattern's needle recommendations. This for no other reason than I was too lazy to unpack all of my needles (from the move 2 months ago).


I made some itty bitty newborn pants, and am now working on some small sized pants, which suddenly seem enormous.


I made this little garter stitch raglan cardigan from several colors of Cotton Fleece that I bought to make a sweater for the Squid 3 years ago. It never became that sweater, but it did become a hat for the Squid and a placket sweater for Asher. Cute as that placket sweater was, it looked a little goofy on him in his newborn necklessness, so I made this cardi with only 2 rows for a collar. Aside from needing buttons, I like this little sweater. It reminds me of a roll of Five Flavor Life Savers. I'm thinking some little striped cottony pants for the spring/summer with the last of the yarn. Now so useful as a diaper cover, but awfully cute.

I'm trying to quell my desire to make another blanket. I've made one already, blankets bore me silly, I have a thousand blankets already, and yet...

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Zonnah said...

You are not alone in how you are feeling. I am ready for it to be over with as well. I really like the soakers, good job :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Yay! You're back! Your son is going to be swathed in the handknits.

I love the lifesaver sweater. Babies are so cute in the primary colors.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I've been feeling a little like that myself, but I can't complain yet, I'm only half way. A good night's sleep would help us all I'm sure.
Would you mind sharing a few of the brands and fiber contents of the yarns for the soakers? I have very little experience with 100% wools and even after reading the tips on the pattern don't really know where to begin.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

And may I suggest Double Chocolate Cookie Crisp... It's cereal, it's healthy, it has whole grains and milk on top. And boy it's good.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

I edited the post to mane the yarns and needle sizes. Sorry i neglected to do that before.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I'm a few weeks behind you at 31 weeks today, but I hear ya.

We may be "in the home stretch," but I don't think my skin can stretch any more than it has, even though somehow, every day it does.

The soakers look great!!! I'm impressed with how many you've made too.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

That's great, Now I have some ideas to start with.

4:35 PM  
Blogger mama k said...

Those soakers are gorgeous! I'm going to have to try your pattern.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

I hear you on the pregnancy bit of mine. Even though I had a healthy, uneventful pregnancy, I was practically begging the kid to come out at the end.

What pattern did you use for that little lifesaver baby sweater? I've seen a similar sweater in blogland and I'd love to know where to find it. I love the sleeve decreases. It looks like it's knit in one piece - is that the case?

7:04 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

i just made up the sweater pattern. it's knit in one piece, top down. inspired by the garter stitch EZ Tomten that i'm forever working on, I wanted to make a garter stitch cardigan that went a bit faster.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Everything looks great and so colorful.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well and is uneventful.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Davina said...

Great stuff!!! Totally loving that cardigan. *heart*
And I had way more junk food during pgcy #2 than in pgcy #1, and baby #2 was over a pound smaller... I'm just sayin'...

10:33 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

So many cute knits. Love the sweater!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Woman who knits said...

What wonderful things for your little man!! Everything is beautiful.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Ellen Alexandra said...

I love the colors of your knits in this post!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Sorry to hear you are not feeling the best.
Just look at all of the knitting you have done! You are going to be totally set for your new son.
I love the cardigan. But the soakers are just brilliant.
Hope your last few weeks go by quickly!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! I just wanted to say that I love your knitting! I'm pregnant too also, and I'm Virgo, and live in Jersey city, NJ which is about 5 min. from Manhattan. Too many common things?
I started to work on EZ seamless yoke sweater for myself, see pictures on my blog. Nice to get acquainted!

2:15 AM  
Blogger JenniferB said...

Gorgeous baby knits! How about those pants? Are those EZ's longies?

7:20 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

I love the rest of the soakers. Do you want to borrow Smashy's sweater?

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home