Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Trip to the Frog Pond

She insisted it had to be a blanket. I insisted it would be so small that she wouldn't like it. She insisted. I decided to attach strings to make it a superhero cape when it wasn't busy being a tiny blanket (Thanks, Pam).

So I made it. It took 3 episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer on DVD.

She liked it, she really did. She said "Yay! now go put it in my bed so I can sleep with it."

I showed her the Mole's blanket made from Inca Cotton and told her that I could easily rip out the pink blanket bit and add some white to it. I showed her photos of granny squares. I showed her some knitted blanket patterns. Finally, she decided on a crocheted ripple blanket, like this one.

I think it's an excellent idea. It'll take no time at all. I know for sure she'll actually like it. I know for sure she'll actually use it.

So it's off to the frog pond.

Thank you all very very much for your suggestions. I appreciated each and every suggestion. The Squid enjoyed the little presentation I offered her, made of all of your ideas. As the Squid says when she wants to know more about something, "Let's go look at it on your computer. Your computer knows everything."

I know it may seem like I'm letting a four year old walk all over me, but this is what we do. We look stuff up, we think about it, we talk about it, we try it, we trash it and start all over. I enjoy the incredible challenge of looking for something she will enjoy. I love it when I hit it on the nose. I don't mind when I miss terribly. I guess I just like the thrill of the hunt.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

Aw, that's a sweet little blanket. And kudos for frogging and making something else! It sounds like you and the squid have such an awesome relationship :-)

9:04 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I think it is great letting your daughter make her own decisions in some things. It allows them to think about it, decide, and if they dont like it they can change it. I love the color of the yarn too, your daughter picked the right skein.

9:47 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Your pink blankie/yarn story is just wonderful :)

2:01 PM  
Blogger nann said...

My baby is 7 months old, and so I'm still laying the foundations for someday interacting with him as you do the Squid. My favorite thing about being a mom is watching him discover who he's going to be--which has to involve your wee one expressing opinions and learning that you're listening to their needs (even about something as simple as a blanket). Yours is a wonderful story of a present and attentive relationship.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home