Monday, December 10, 2007

Tomten! Finally!

Moley is sporting his first fever, so please excuse the sad, sad gaze. He's actually an amazingly chipper sick baby, but we were out on a little walk to get some fresh air and he was zoning out a little. These photos are taken with my cell phone while holding it up to a glass door so I could center the photo. So clearly not my most pristine images ever.

I haven't received the buttons I ordered yet, so I've tied a scarf around his neck to hold the hood on. He's in a baby carrier strapped to my chest to the front is staying closed that way. I love the shape of this hood.

I'm thinking about adding a blanket stitch edging in royal blue or purple. I have to see what the buttons look like when they arrive. I love the Rowan Big Wool in garter stitch, and I love the shape of this Tomten. I just halved the numbers EZ specified and skipped the short rows and the jacket is perfect. The sleeve length is great to just unroll and use as mittens.

I can't believe how long this took me to finish. I've been holding off on the last 14 rows of the last sleeve for ages. I don't really love knitting at such a large gauge, and the bulkiness of the big wool meant I couldn't tote it around. I loved the pattern though, and will be making one for the Squid soon.

In the meantime, this was a school weekend so I got some other knitting done, too. Wanting to give hand-made gifts this year, but having only my persnickety kid as a gauge - the only thing she has ever loved that I've made for her are these mittens. Almost a year later, she readily admits her love of pink, though she still mostly shuns princesses (especially princess movies, though she is sometimes tempted by some sparkle and shine in the toy store). When she lost one of her pink mittens, you'd have thought the world ended. I made her some new ones (she's at school with them right now, so no photo) and she wept with joy. Seriously.

So we decided to make mittens for all of her friends for the holidays. We meaning she decided what I should knit, for whom, and which color. And I'm doing the knitting. This pair is for Ruby and they match Maya's ladyslipper cardigan.


This pair is for Liv, who used to like blue but now likes pink and blue. Only 4 or 5 more pairs to go.

I also started a pink bunny out of some Muench Yarns Touch Me. So shiny and pink. The Squid requested it, of course. I fully expect her to reject it, but I needed to make one anyway to photograph for the pattern which I'll be printing up soon.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute tomten! I found you from Zimmermania and love your designs and blog. My daughter would love some mittens like the ones you've knit. Is it your own pattern or one available somewhere? They look pretty straightforward, are they?

Thanks!
Leah

5:59 PM  
Blogger carla said...

The Tomten looks adorable in the bulky wool! Really adorable.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Great Tomten! I hear ya on knitting with bulky yarn. It goes fast, progress-wise, but each stitch is slow. At least for me.

Hopt the little one gets better soon.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I hope he recovers soon, poor little sweetie. I love the tomten jacket too, so adorable. I cant wait to see the buttons. I love the mittens, and the pink and blue look nice together.

7:27 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

Such a cute baby! Such a nice knit!

11:17 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

I meant to say nice knits - plural!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Stacy Garner said...

That is one cute kid you have! And I also love the hood on the Tomten. It reminds me of a little elf or knome or something. I am also slowly working on knitting one for my 2 year old. It is the first sweater I have ever knitted. I am stuck at the hood part. What kind of increases did you use? I am getting holes :(

12:55 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Mole looks so warm and toasty in his Tomten -- and surely it is the knit, not the fever. I hope he feels better soon!

9:32 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh my gosh! that tomten! that baby!!!! too cute!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Poor Moley - hope he feels better soon. (though I have to say he's uber-healthy if this is his 1st fever)

His Tomten should keep him nice and cozy while he recovers --- and it is adorable!

So are those teeny mittens - and the colours are fantastic.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Briley said...

Marnie- the tomten looks great! I hope to finish up all my holiday projects and pull mine back out of hibernation soon!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

adorable bébé, cute tomten!
I love this pattern which I made 4 times for my granchildren

5:55 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I love the rounded top of your mittens. I just started knitting them and don't like the pointy tops I'm getting. Which pattern do you use? By the way, the baby and Tomten are adorable.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter said...

You ought to be Mother of the Year, knitting all those little mitts! They're just so cute - I hope the kids love 'em. And as I said on Zimmermania, I adore the Tomten.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Eliza said...

The tomtem is beautiful! I love the chunkiness on your little baby. The mittens are also wonderful, great presents for your daughter's friends.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Happily Knit said...

Oh he is too cute! Your Tomten is a beautiful knit :)

3:57 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

What a beautiful Tomten that is! I love it in the bulky wool and dark navy. Lovely!

10:31 PM  
Blogger sarah shepherd said...

Very inspired to knit one of these big wool totems ... it looks gorgeous.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home